Author Topic: some files could not be scanned  (Read 4873 times)

lucorca

some files could not be scanned
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »
I have get that message several times it doesn't worries me, because even that avast doesn't take actions over this type of files I can manually delete them. The problem is that I'd recently installed service pack 3 in my windows xp so I'm getting this message every time I run a scan and also about 80 files that I cant delete cause I can't find them so that really worries me because I don't know what to do. Are those files a threat to my pc?. What can I do?. Are this files some kind of backup?.

thanks for take time to read the this post

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: some files could not be scanned
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:56 AM »
First we need more information to give any detailed advice.

Deletion is never a good first option, you have none left. In most cases in the actual scan report avast won't let you take any action simply because they can't be scanned, head that good advice.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some common examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »

Welcome to the forums, lucorca   :)

If you would like, you can post some of the file names.

healingvenom

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:57 AM »
I'm having the same issue as well and no matter how many times I run a complete scan the result has been the same for the past week. "The system cannot find the path specified." Below is everything it lists in detail.

I've had something similar to this once before and the last time this happened, a bunch of programs started malfunctioning little by little, then my profiles were corrupted to the point that every time I turned off my computer i had to do a system restore just to get access to my files and folders the next time I logged on. I don't know crap about computers so I have no clue what to do, I just don't want the same thing to happen again. It doesn't look harmful, but this is the way that it started on my other computer a couple years ago.

Can someone help or do I have to repost as entirely new?

q:\140062.enu\office14\1033\wwintl.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\css7data0009.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\gfx.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\mscss7en.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\msproof7.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\oart.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\proof\1033\msgr3en.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\proof\mssp7en.dll
q:\140062.enu\office14\winword.exe
q:\140062.enu\office14\wwlib.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\1033\msointl.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\cultures\office.odf
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\mso.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\msores.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\msptls.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\riched20.dll
q:\140062.enu\vfs\csidl\_program_files_common\microsoft shared\office14\usp10.dll