Author Topic: RESOLVED Real Time Scan turned off every time I turn my computer on  (Read 43765 times)

Tink66

I have successfully been using Avast for several years now but have recently noticed a problem when I switch my computer on.  The icon comes up with a red cross indicating that the system is unsecure.  I know how to rectify this, (no problem there!) but wondered if anyone could advise me why this is happening and, if so, how to stop it happening on a permanent basis?  Yesterday, when I went to correct the problem, Avast advised me that a system was attempting to access my system.  Nothing has bleeped up on Virus Chest so I do not think I have a virus or anything.  I have Windows Defender on my computer as well but have also been running that for nearly a year without any problems!  I have now set Defender to only run once a week as wondered if that was what was slowing things up and causing Avast to stop?  
Avast always updates (running Avast 5) and the only firewall I have is Windows.  I have Windows XP.
Any help would be appreciated but nothing too techy please as I won't understand it!
Many thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:04:20 PM by Tink66 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Real Time Scan turned off every time I turn my computer on
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
Windows Defender does not interfere with avast.
You can try to repair your installation (Control Panel > Add/Remove programs).

You can also try an installation from scratch:
1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Tink66

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.
No wanting to sound too thick (!!) when you state 'save' I gather you mean the option of save or run? 
Please could you advise what 'boot in safe mode' is?
Thanks!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Yes click the save and save to downloads not run.
When you start your computer keep tapping the F8 key which will put you into safe mode.Sometime's need safe mode to get rid of stubborn program's, once you reboot again you'll be back in normal mode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:52:29 PM by craigb »

Tink66

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Ah, I learn something new each day! 
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
Tink66, the Safe Mode words in my post are a hiperlink, you can click over it to know more.

Tink66

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:40 PM »
 ;D

Well, did it all as stated (except I couldn't save the new installation - the only option was run!)

Time will tell but thanks for everyone's help!

Tink66

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
OK, just logged on for the first time since trying the uninstall and it hasn't worked.  Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be wrong?  I have registered my new installation.
Thanks

Tink66

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »
I also meant to add that I ran an Avast scan and Windows Defender after doing so and all is OK.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »
I'm confused with your last 2 posts.  Did your uninstall and clean install work or not?  If not, here are easy directions:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your hard drive (HDD):
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe
Pro –  http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your desktop.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Knowledge based article:
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=504#idt_0003

By the way, using XP you really don't need to run Win Defender with Avast.  I would suggest you download an on-demand scanner like Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM) free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for layered security, better detection, and better use of your memory on your machine.

Tink66

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
I did excatly what 'ubertechnical' suggested (except I couldn't save the new version only run it.)
The problem is as before - the real time scan is turned off.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
I did excatly what 'ubertechnical' suggested (except I couldn't save the new version only run it.)
The problem is as before - the real time scan is turned off.
Do you mean you can't save the avast setup file?
Strange, isn't your computer infected?

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Also let us know in your next post if you were able to download the Avast setup file or not as we are confused by your previous posts.  Thank you.

Tink66

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »
Do I need to register Malwarebytes?   Am running a scan at the moment.

Regarding infections, I thought this is what anti-virus programmes dealt with?

I was able to save the uninstall and then use it to run the uninstall but when I reinstalled Avast, the only option after downloading was run.  I did not have save or run as a choice.  I have installed Avast again as I just clicked on run.  Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:27:46 AM by Tink66 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »
MBAM is free (you can get a paid version, but I gave you the link for the free one), so you do NOT have to register it.

MBAM works differently than Avast, so it is a good back up program to have for an "on-demand" (when you need it) scanner.

Regarding having the files you need or want for Avast, just follow my instructions exactly as they are written....but do NOT install until I have looked at your MBAM log to make sure you do not have an infection.