Author Topic: Can't update definitions  (Read 9844 times)

bobbybrain

Re: Can't update definitions
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »
Everything else is working fine as far as can tell - it's probably something to with vista - had a few problems with it in terms of program compatability in the past.

I'll try a clean re-install and let you know how I get on...

bobbybrain

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Ok I've re-installed avast completely. When removing old version I found files relating to avast verion 4 so got rid of them as well.

I have installed new copy and registered it but still won't update. Slightly different though, instead of vista error message appearing, it seems to update by saying "saving package" but then stops abruptly. Message within the program itself on the update page then comes up "Last encountered error. Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate."

i went back to Programs & Features via Control Panel and tried repairing it - same error message as last time. Then tried update option at same time - again seemed to work ok but then at the end it came up with "Update finished. There was an error while changing product configuration".

The program is now at virus definitions 101011-0. I am worried to use internet now with definitions that are so out of date.

Any advice would be great

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »
Any other security program that could interfere? Firewall?
Old antivirus installed before avast?
The best things in life are free.

bobbybrain

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 01:03:51 AM »
avast is the only AV I've had on this computer.

Checked vista firewall - avast is set to be allowed through. This is the file extension:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe

Is this correct? Do I need to allow something else through in order to enable updates to work?

bobbybrain

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:29:02 AM »
Also just tried turning off the firewall completely and still won't update.

Only other thing I can think off is re-installing Vista itself which I don't want to do. Looks like I may be installing an alternative AV  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:27 AM »
Yes.
avast.setup needs to connect. But if you have only Vista firewall, it shouldn't be blocking anything as it does not block outbound connections by default.
The best things in life are free.

bobbybrain

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »
yes you're right about outbound connections - they aren't blocking anything at mo. Plus the updates still didn't work when I switched it off completely.

Very strange...

swarnava

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:48:26 AM »
do you try offline update?

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »
Please check the following to check the settings to connect to the Internet for Avast:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

bobbybrain

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
Thanks for suggestions.

Safesurf - I altered settings as you suggested but still won'tupdate.

Swarnava/Heaven GOD - I have previously tried offline update but when try to install, it tells me that VPS database is up to date.

This is interesting as when I try to update avast via Control Panel>Programs and Features it tells me that I already have the latest definitions installed (101201-1)

Is it possible that I have got latest definitions but for whatever reason avast thinks I haven't?

bobbybrain

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 12:19:41 AM »
I've uninstalled avast & gone for ms security essentials instead - hopefully won't fail me.

Thanks for all your suggestions

SafeSurf

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 07:36:08 AM »
I think if you had given us a little more time and done a mini-dump file, which goes directly to Avast to analyze your problem, we could identify your problem:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.

Please let us know if you wish to do this and we will alert the Avast Team.  Thank you.