Author Topic: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for ISP account  (Read 13573 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for ISP account
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
thanks,

ok so i read up on the clean notes issue and found many earlier posts about it being an issue, some had no solutions, or no replies, so i guess its something WLM doesnt like...i know your point, but i guess i just get annoyed a little when it doesnt do what i think it can, or should do...

You're welcome.

Whilst I appreciate that when something you  want to use doesn't work it can be a pain, thankfully it isn't a security feature of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balm

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »
finally  found where it puts the Avast note on inbound mail, you right click on the email in WLM, then select properties in the drop-down, then click on detail tab, here it lists all headers data, addresses data, and the avast scan note at bottom....thats too bad it means the average user receiving the scanned email in WLM, has to DIG to know about the scanning done by Avast...

id be curious to know what Avst uses to embed the note into the email,  even the option to "unblock all downloaded images and other email content in html" in WLM options didnt work.

(i guess its so you dont have to actually open an email to see the details of whos sending it)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:51:57 PM by balm »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »
The header information on the email having been scanned will be there even if you don't elect to insert a note in clean emails (the body of the email).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balm

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »
yes, now at least i know there is place which shows the actual email was scanned, even if no note gets inserted into message itself.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:38:34 PM by balm »

balm

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
1.  i noticed in the mail shield, ssl accounts, a hotmail SSL (POP, SMTP)account is showing automatically, when i deleted it returns....is this because avast is detecting  a hotmail account i once had, i recently closed any hotmail account i had...?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
1.  i noticed in the mail shield, ssl accounts, a hotmail SSL (POP, SMTP)account is showing automatically, when i deleted it returns....is this because avast is detecting  a hotmail account i once had, i recently closed any hotmail account i had...?
Did you install any other part's of window's live essentials, messenger, photo gallery? Go to control panel/credentials and you'll see all the windows live stuff, if you dont use them anymore delet but im not sure if windows live will just put it staight back in the next time you run it. The windows sign in assistant is now embedded into the windows live essentials program that you installed so there might not be anyway around it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:15:26 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
1.  i noticed in the mail shield, ssl accounts, a hotmail SSL (POP, SMTP)account is showing automatically, when i deleted it returns....is this because avast is detecting  a hotmail account i once had, i recently closed any hotmail account i had...?

Presumably you have a hotmail account setup in WLM (that is where it would get its info from), so it would try to set it up in its settings. If it is still there then avast would keep creating it.

balm

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
last month i closed hotmails, got that long winded  "associated with other WL services...wait 270 days of inactivity...." you can google "close hotmail account" and you will see the MILLIONS of posts about this...i sent email to hotmail address and it didnt recognize domain...so it appears the address is disabled, but i suspect the full effect of closing (username, passwords, etc) waits 270 days

can do formal request to verify the account with WL Hotmail.

Within WLM i only set up one account, ISP sympatico!

IIRC, i only downloaded Windows Live Mail portion (no other parts of Live Essentials ect...)

only credentials show:

1. sympatico ISP email account ( i guess this is normal ???)

2. digilogical (ive removed this twice, and keeps returning, not sure what is causing/using this ????)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:04:36 PM by balm »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
Digilogical is a part of windows live essential's which is what i thought might happen with it restoring itself, nothing to worrie about if you've disabled account.

balm

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:24 PM »
thank you, when WLE 2011 update came in i asked it to ONLY install WLM part of WLE, but WLE is what shows up in programs ...more than 63 MB

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »
thank you, when WLE 2011 update came in i asked it to ONLY install WLM part of WLE, but WLE is what shows up in programs ...more than 63 MB
Yeah thats all that i installed of it to,
there's alway extra crap installed with windows programs. Just got a new camera so i'll probably install the photo gallery part of it to so i can email photo's.

balm

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »
oh well guess ill just check the hot mail account in about 9 months.

do i need to change ANY of the following (see screenshot) in troubleshoot redirect, ..for my ISP sympatico account in side WLM:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
I don't believe you have to change of the redirection ports as they are set by avast according to the Mail Shield settings also.

balm

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
ok thank you very much....next i will set up my GMAIL account inside WLM, and set up avast for it too....should i have questions ill open a new thread for that topic

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:12 AM »
You're welcome.