Author Topic: Email - Server 'Timing out' since updating Avast!  (Read 4421 times)

Energize

Email - Server 'Timing out' since updating Avast!
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »
I hope someone will be able to help me sort this out.

Using Win XP SP2; Thunderbird 2.0.0.24; Avast! Free version 5.0.667

Due to an update message very recently, I updated Avast! (free version)

After re-booting, I got a dialogue box to say to change settings from TLS/SSL as Avast! will check incoming emails, so I changed this setting, as suggested.

Since then, on booting up my PC, ever since, I get a dialogue box saying the server 'timed out' and so won't retrieve my email. I then have to wait until it checks again and then it will load the messages as normal. 

This 'timing out' seems to only apply to gmail accounts, and not my BT account so, I think, refers to the googlemail server only. Suspect this because I have three gmail accounts, 1 BT account, and have to click 'OK' on three, not four, dialogue boxes when this happens.

If I close T'Bird, then re-open it, it seems to load messages without problem.

I have looked for settings that might need changing but haven't found anything.

Can anyone advise, please? Thanks very much for any help
J

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Email - Server 'Timing out' since updating Avast!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »
If you want avast! to scan your mail accounts that is using SSL you must remove the SSL setting in the mail client so avast can scan the mail, avast will then take care of the SSL

This is how to:

avast! 5.x: Some e-mails are not scanned by the Mail Shield
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

Some info.
Gmail is using Postini spam/virus filter on there mail server, running to virus engines (McAfee and Authentium) so the mail is already scanned twice before you recive it
So if you don`t want avast to scan it you can just disable the SSL account popup warning....

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
Using Win XP SP2;

Please see:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

XP SP3 provides many system Critical Updates and performance improvements.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
Not just XP SP2 but an ancient version of Thunderbird.

- I would also suggest a visit to this site, which scans your system for out of date programs that have patches to close vulnerabilities, http://secunia.com/software_inspector/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Energize

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
Thank you, Pondus, for your helpful response and link.  I have read it through briefly and, as soon as I get some time, I'll go through the settings as suggested.

However, it seems unfortunate that, by installing an update, it should cause all these problems.  It does tend to make me wonder if I have the time to deal with updates.  I certainly don't have time to mess about with settings and risking the whole email system crashing at the moment.  I just wish I hadn't clicked the update icon just yet.

In the meantime, I will just have to keep clicking 'OK' every time I switch on my pc until such time I can try to sort it out.

I have, in fact, got SP3 installed but thanks for pointing that out, YoKenny.

Regarding the 'ancient' Thunderbird program, DavidR, I have reverted to this after trying the 3.* versions but found the newer version difficult to get set up as I would like and not for me at the moment.  The 2.* versions are still supported, I'm pleased to say so, for now, I'll be sticking with it.  I'm pleased for you if you are happy with the newer 3.* version.  Everyone to their own, for their own reasons, eh?  Maybe when I have enough spare time, I will be in a position to try out the newer version but, reading the forums, I am not alone in reverting to this 'ancient' version.

Energize

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:09:36 PM »
Hi

I have entered the details in Avast! re imap.server and the port number, re-booted the computer but the email program still times out so it has made no difference.

Can anyone please suggest why this timing out should be happening since updating to the latest version.

I appreciate all your help.  Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
1. Thank you, Pondus, for your helpful response and link.  I have read it through briefly and, as soon as I get some time, I'll go through the settings as suggested.
2. It does tend to make me wonder if I have the time to deal with updates.  I certainly don't have time to mess about with settings and risking the whole email system crashing at the moment.  I just wish I hadn't clicked the update icon just yet.
3. I have, in fact, got SP3 installed but thanks for pointing that out, YoKenny.
4. Regarding the 'ancient' Thunderbird program, DavidR, I have reverted to this after trying the 3.* versions but found the newer version difficult to get set up as I would like and not for me at the moment.  The 2.* versions are still supported, I'm pleased to say so, for now, I'll be sticking with it.  I'm pleased for you if you are happy with the newer 3.* version.  Everyone to their own, for their own reasons, eh?  Maybe when I have enough spare time, I will be in a position to try out the newer version but, reading the forums, I am not alone in reverting to this 'ancient' version.

1. Good, because this is the solution to your problem.
2. With not updating anything, you're not just risking your email system, but you're risking your security..!!!
3. If you have SP3 installed, you should post the correct information. ;)
4. Everyone to their own..??! Not in this case, as this version of FF is highly vulnerable..!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:11 PM »
I appreciate all your help.  Thanks

It's hard to help, as your system should first be updated...!!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Energize

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
Updated to what?  Could you be more specific please?
Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Updated to what?  Could you be more specific please?
Thanks

Well, if you are specific as well...
Do you have SP2 or SP3...?
Anyway, update Thunderbird...! (3.1.6 is the latest version)
asyn

rooboy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »
I recieve email but can't send unless i turn avast off for 10 minutes. Any clues?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:41:45 PM »
I recieve email but can't send unless i turn avast off for 10 minutes. Any clues?

Welcome to the forum, rooboy..!
Please start a new topic for your question. Thanks.
asyn

Energize

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »
Asyn

If you were to read my posts, you would have read that I did add that I had SP3.  Also, in my original post, I explained I had reverted from TB 3* because I didn't like it.  Version 2* is still supported and it is a matter of personal preference as to which suits the individual.

I felt I was fairly specific regarding the issue since updating Avast! 

If anyone has any further explanations regarding the issue I have, I would be pleased to hear

tytan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
I have just updated Avast free edition and have exactly the same problem. Operating System Windows Vista Home SP2, email client TB3.1.6. At first I could not log into my accounts at all. I changed the SSL settings for all accounts to "no encryption". I now no longer get a server error message, but the long-in times out.

The mail  servers are mail.htvhosting.com and at mxhosting.be.

This definitely has something to do wiht the newest Avast update since everything worked fine up until the update.