Author Topic: [resolved] Which firewall is best?  (Read 17315 times)

YoKenny

Re: Which firewall is best?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »
@ street_lethal

You seem to be very young and need to learn a lot.

Question:

How old are you ???

You seem like a know it all 15 year old or a frustrated 30 year old that realizes they do not know very much.
Which is it.  ???

street_lethal

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
@ street_lethal

You seem to be very young and need to learn a lot.

Question:

How old are you ???

You seem like a know it all 15 year old or a frustrated 30 year old that realizes they do not know very much.
Which is it.  ???

Go argue with somebody else. I don't have the motivation or interest to go back and forth with you about profiles and who you trust or don't trust. Nobody cares.

YoKenny

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »

Go argue with somebody else. I don't have the motivation or interest to go back and forth with you about profiles and who you trust or don't trust. Nobody cares.

Typical 15 year old response. ::)

street_lethal

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »

Typical 15 year old response. ::)

Deal with your paranoia and assumptions elsewhere.

YoKenny

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
Deal with your paranoia and assumptions elsewhere.
I have reported you as you need to understand a lot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:44:09 PM by YoKenny »

street_lethal

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

I have reported you as you need to understand a lot.

I have no clue what you're talking about. So you go and report me to the mod for whatever reason you made up in your head.

YoKenny

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
I have no clue what you're talking about. So you go and report me to the mod for whatever reason you made up in your head.

Sadly you have no clue and will remain nieve.  :'(

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Man I don't understand this kind of crap ???

Tenko

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 10:21:55 PM »
you are not the only one schmidthouse.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »
Thank you Rednose for the article, which is very good.  I've done beta testing with Stem.  If you look at my Signature, I use Avast Free, but you can also use Online Armor Free and layer your protection. 

As was suggested I believe in a previous thread, I would get rid of Ad-aware and replace it with MBAM which has higher detection rates free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button). 

The key to security is to layer your software so you are not causing conflicts or over kill.  Therefore, I suggest that you trial what ever FW software to see how you like it and how it plays with your other software; not all software play well together.
Thanks everyone. I know...try before you fly (buy).
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

hayc59

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
YoKenny, called him out and he got hosed ;)

street_lethal

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 11:19:51 PM »

YoKenny brought up a inane issue he had with me not having a profile. He then proceeded to prattle on about nothing which is what was confusing.

Tenko

Re: [resolved] Which firewall is best?
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Best thing to do is to sit behind a router, or some other hardware firewall or a UTM appliance. I use a software firewall to monitor outbound connections. I wouldn't use a software firewall in lieu of hardware firewall but I rather use it in conjunction with it. As for Comodo I never liked it, very bloated for my tastes and the logging is non existent...at least when I tried it.

Never did trust a person that can't figure out how to keep their PROFILE up to date.

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

I guess that's why you are lethal on the street. ???

he found your comment, just as I did, a bit off topic. 
1)Almost all modern router have firewall and the info that you say is quite advanced which is strange; that comes from someone who has no info about himself, no signatures.

2) Even if your router has a firewall it's recommended to have a software firewall.

I have no intention to offend you or to argue with you.

Regards,
               Tenko

street_lethal

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 12:02:52 AM »

he found your comment, just as I did, a bit off topic.  
1)Almost all modern router have firewall and the info that you say is quite advanced which is strange; that comes from someone who has no info about himself, no signatures.

2) Even if your router has a firewall it's recommended to have a software firewall.

I have no intention to offend you or to argue with you.

Regards,
               Tenko

Who's he? And who's comment was a bit off topic?

My post that you quoted is straight forward, I wouldn't just use a software firewall. I would use a hardware firewall also, a router, a dedicated firewall, a UTM appliance, etc....Some people just use a hardware firewall.

Also, many consumer routers have extremely watered down dedicated firewall features but act as a firewall due to NAT.

Me having a profile has zero bearing on anything and was off topic. If some people care about profiles that's great, some people don't.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:10:46 AM by street_lethal »

Tenko

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
for me it's indifferent.

cheers :)