Author Topic: Update issues  (Read 2719 times)

AHK7373

Update issues
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
This may be a false alarm, but the summary page on Avast states that my definitions are out of date, currently they are at 101201-0.

When I click update, I see the usual bar appear, and about a second later avast tells me that my definitions are up to date. However the summary page doesn't change, maintaining the red warning label on my definitions. I've tried downloading the manual updater and it states that my definitions are up to date as well. The only strange thing that happened is a few days prior I got a BSOD when plugging my external HD into my computer. Other then that my computer has been running fine for the most part. (I have been having issues with my video card, but I don't think this has anything to do with avast or a virus).

Am I just being paranoid, or is this an actual problem?

I have windows xp, dual core, and the most up to date version of the avast free program. I also run malewarebytes, which updates just fine.

I just tried to update once more, and avast has now informed me that the latest definition version is 101201-1. However, when I click update, it believes that 101201-0 is the current version and nothing happens. Pretty sure something is up now.

help?

SafeSurf

Re: Update issues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
Hello AHK7373 and welcome to the forum.

This is an occasional glitch that happens at times.  When this happens, the best thing to do is to reboot your machine, then see if the actual update matches the GUI update.  If not, don't worry and wait for the next update to happen, and it usually fixes itself.

If for some reason this is happening to you regularly, then do an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

But like I said, we do see this and try rebooting your machine first, or wait for the next update to fix the problem.  Thank you.

AHK7373

Re: Update issues
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
You were right, everything is green now. Thank you for the prompt response, please lock or delete this thread at your leisure.  :)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Update issues
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
You are the only person who can close this thread:

Please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :)