Author Topic: Does this real-time protection strategy seem OK? Anyone else doing it?  (Read 4055 times)

dave18

I'm still evaluating avast real-time file system protection. I'm a stickler for performance, so one of my goals is to keep the number of real-time file accesses on my hard drive by avast to a minimum.

One strategy for doing this is to check files when created or modified, i.e. written, and not when read or executed. Since virus definition files will always lag behind viruses, a file with a virus may have been created before the definition to detect it was released. Thus, with this strategy, I would also have to do a weekly scan to pick up these kinds of viruses.

Does anyone see a problem with this kind of strategy? Does anyone else here use something similar? Are there any tricks or techniques you have picked up to get avast to do this?

I'm still playing around with all the options and learning, so I'm open to opinions.

Thanks!

-Dave

CharleyO

Re: Does this real-time protection strategy seem OK? Anyone else doing it?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »

It seems to me that by doing what you state above, you are just asking for an infection of malware sooner or later.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Since virus definition files will always lag behind viruses
Not always, there is Generic/heuristick behavior detection that can detect new virus without any definition. And this is where avast 5 is better then 4.8

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:53:01 AM »
It seems to me that by doing what you state above, you are just asking for an infection of malware sooner or later.

That is correct.

I would leave the real-time file system protection set at default as it is quite good.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:41 AM »
Personally I would have left avast at its default settings for a while and see how it impacts on your system performance. On any half decent system avast shouldn't impact on your system overall performance with the resident on-access scanners.

I see negligible issues in my normal use of the system, though it largely depends on what you are using it for.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dave18

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
Since virus definition files will always lag behind viruses
Not always, there is Generic/heuristick behavior detection that can detect new virus without any definition. And this is where avast 5 is better then 4.8

Good, I'm glad to know that! Thanks!

-Dave

dave18

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:24 PM »
I see negligible issues in my normal use of the system, though it largely depends on what you are using it for.

Yeah, I think use determines a lot. When I'm not really doing anything, just browsing or whatever, it's fine. But when I have a large batch of photos and run a CRC on them, I noticed it is much, much slower scanning each photo when I read it.

I think user behavior is one of the biggest factors. I use NoScript with Firefox, I don't accept any attachments via email (text only), and I don't download random software from the net. I think those three things alone protect me from 99% of what's out there. Because of that, I don't really want to waste time scanning everything over and over.

It sounds like my behavior and needs are a little different from others here, but I do appreciate the input. I do have an Acronis backup image of my system drive, so I guess I don't see a virus or malware as the worst thing in the world, although of course I'd rather not get one.

Thanks again for all the great input! This looks like a pretty nice user group here. :)

-Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security