Author Topic: Help after Avast! Pro Mac won't boot  (Read 6391 times)

bobroff

Help after Avast! Pro Mac won't boot
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »
Help! After installing Avast! Pro, my Mac won't boot.

After a virus on my PC, I installed Avast! Pro (with a purchased license) on my Mac (running updated OS).  I could not shut down --  Avast! kept running in persistent mode and the Preferences were greyed out.  I finally shut it down -- not quite sure how -- but next morning and now it won't boot, just shows Apple screen and spinning wheel.  Tried just turning off power to re-boot but doesn't work.

Has Avast! ruined my Mac?!  This was supposed to protect me, not destroy me!

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Help after Avast! Pro Mac won't boot
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:16 AM »
Try holding down the Shift key while booting your Mac. This is Safe Boot mode and loads only essential startup items. This should allow you to boot if it is Avast causing the issue, then try to reinstall Avast using the latest version
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Help after Avast! Pro Mac won't boot
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
Help! After installing Avast! Pro, my Mac won't boot.

After a virus on my PC, I installed Avast! Pro (with a purchased license) on my Mac (running updated OS).  I could not shut down --  Avast! kept running in persistent mode and the Preferences were greyed out.  I finally shut it down -- not quite sure how -- but next morning and now it won't boot, just shows Apple screen and spinning wheel.  Tried just turning off power to re-boot but doesn't work.

Has Avast! ruined my Mac?!  This was supposed to protect me, not destroy me!

Hallo, Avast is just an application. Yes, in persistent mode, it's trying to be running, but you can either:
- get rid of this persistent mode in preferences
- or, just allow avast to quit - the application was asking you to confirm system quitting in a dialog

As said, it's just an application, which can't ruin your computer. So, the unability to boot again was probably caused because you turned the machine off using power-switch. Then, try to boot with shift-key hold (until the console with text messages appears) - in this safe mode, you can get a clue what's damaged on your computer.

Anyway, macos x install cd can fix this situation as well by replacing damaged system parts with the right ones.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)