Author Topic: Spam filter not working in 5.0.677 with my MS Outlook 2007 POP3 account  (Read 13423 times)

Coach

Re: Spam filter not working in 5.0.677 with my MS Outlook 2007 POP3 account
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
CharyB,
I am not at my PC right now and it will be 5 hours before I get back. Will send you a screen print when I get back home.
From memory, I think the outgoing port is 25 and incoming is 110.  Both servers out and in use "mail.bellsouth.net" for their names. Those two ports do not require SSL, I was told.

Bellsouth changed to Yahoo some ago but their settings (incoming and outgoing) never worked very well.
They wanted me to use ports 465 out and 995 in. It did not work for me so I went back to the the old settings 25 out and  and 110 in and they worked (and still work) fine.  I  have not had any problems until this Avast Pro spam thing hit me.

If you still need a screen print let me know. I will drop you one later when I get back home. This episode with Avast is teaching me a couple of things. Thanks fop helping me out.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »
Just read my previous post and you should be well taken care of. There is a screen shot attached.
I am assuming your email is Yahoo.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:43:33 AM by Charyb »

Coach

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:51 PM »
Thanks again, CharyB. I made the changes as per your screen shot and it appears to be working.
I also went inside Outlook and re-entered the settings that Yahoo was trying to get me to use some time ago. Those settings appear to be working correctly this time.
I can tell no difference in the "email" part using SSL and ports 995 and 465. What I can do now is send mail via my POP3 account from a remote PC as long as I have it configured th4e same way I have it here at home. I could always receive mail but had to use Yahoo web mail to do any sending.
I will test my POP3 on my laptop during my next trip. 
I know a good bit about computers but all the "little checks and ticks" sometime gives me pause.
Thanks again.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »
I also went inside Outlook and re-entered the settings that Yahoo was trying to get me to use some time ago. Those settings appear to be working correctly this time.

You have me confused by this comment. What settings did you change within Outlook. The settings in Outlook should be pop 110 and smtp 25 and should look exactly like I have attached. Go back to my reply #14 and view the screen prints. That is exactly how your settings should look.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:59:30 PM by Charyb »

Coach

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
Did not intend to confuse you :). In doing my research for this problem I found a site that directed all "Old" Bellsouth uses how to configure POP3 email for Yahoo. Some of those directions are pasted under the dotted line below. I could never quite get my account to work with that setup. I am sure I was missing a small part to it somehow.This computer is running NOW with the settings below. Keep reading ...please.

Spam is going into the Junk Email folder BUT ..... it still may not be working exactly proper. I just looked at  today's "show traffic history" feature in Avast's Antispam & Blockers.  It shows 0/0. Since several items landed in my Junk Email folder this morning, does this mean that Outlook is still doing the filtering instead of Avast?

I just had a recollection. This morning while trying to reconfigure the Yahoo account on another PC here in my home I had a pop up note from Avast. I was reconfiguring my account with the same information below. That PC is running the free version of Avast and Outlook Express.   The pop up told  me to uncheck the SSL feature. The note said something to the effect that Avast would do that service.  When I unchecked the SSL, the port number in the little box reverted back to either 25 or 110 (cannot remember which port it was).
-----------------------------------
{Below are the POP3 incoming and SMTP outgoing mail servers and the News server for AT&T ATT a popular Internet Service Provider.

POP3 SMTP Mail News Servers for AT&T ATT Internet Service Provider

AT&T ATT incoming mail server: pop.att.yahoo.com
AT&T ATT outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com (requires authentication)

Incoming Mail Port: 995 (secure connection (SSL) checked)
Outgoing Mail Port: 465 (secure connection (SSL) checked)}
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »
Thank you for confirming the host names and ports.

If you placed port 465 and 995 into the settings of your email client then Avast will not filter the spam. You have to remember that you can not have your mail delivered directly to your email client. Avast needs to intercept it so that it can be scanned. This is why your email providers host name and ports need input into Avast. Then Avast communicates with your email client through ports 110 and 25.

email client <110,25> Avast! <995,465> email host

Do you have it set up exactly as I have shown you in the screenshots in reply #14? If not then it needs to be. Will you please provide me with screen shots of your NEW setup? Hopefully it looks exactly like what I posted in reply #14. If you are not going to set it up according to the screen shots in reply #14 then it will not work correctly.

Make your settings look exactly like what I have attached. After doing so then please post a screen print so I can double check these settings. This is almost an exact duplicate of what I posted in reply #14. You need to follow the instructions as written or this will never get solved. Remember, I can not see your computer so I am relying on your information and screen prints. I was thinking that my reply #14 had it covered.

In your email client advanced setting (Outlook):
1. incoming server (pop3) port 110
2. outgoing server (smtp) port 25
3. encryption unchecked

In your Avast Mail accounts:
Host name - pop.att.yahoo.com
protocol - POP3
port - 995
encryption - SSL

Host name - smtp.att.yahoo.com
protocol - SMTP
port - 465
encryption - SSL
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:16:30 PM by Charyb »

ack1961

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »

In outlook POP3 port is 110 SMTP is 25 for both email accounts I use.
In Avast the pop3 port is 995 for my incoming mail account.

I actually seem to have actually got the avast! anti-spam feature working now.

I had disabled the Avast Addin in Outlooks trust centre when I switched back to using Outlook to filter SPAM. However I noticed that although SPAM was now being detected and put in the junk mail folder configured in Outlook, that the Subject line was being updated as per the avast! expert settings ... very odd.  Just to convince myself the avast settings were being used I changed the message in avast and sure enough the new message was inserted in the Subject line. I have now re-enabled the avast addin which then seemed to reset all the Outlook junk mail settings and I now appear to be having no problems. SPAM is continuing to be filtered although curiously the junk mail folder being used is the one configured in the Outlook junk mail settings not the Avast settings.

Coach

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
CharyB
I have been away on business and back now to try to resolve my spam problem. Here are my screen shots.

Coach

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
CharyB, more screen shots from Coach

GloobyGoob

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
Hi Coach,

There appears to be some sort of bug with the addin for Outlook 2007. To get avast! Antispam running for Outlook 2007, right click the application and select Run as Administrator. Then, in COM add-ins, check avast! Antispam. After that, uncheck avast! 5 in Exchange Client Extentions. It should work after this. Keep in mind that only POP email can be scanned for now.