Author Topic: error message  (Read 9590 times)

Laurion

error message
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
Avast has dectected a virus but when I try to send the files to the vault I get an error message that the files do not exist with the number 2 in (). This laptop is for the grandkids and runs Vista. I am having multiple problems with this computer, add remove programs doesn't work and I can't install a registry cleaner. I'm afraid my grands have loaded it with some nasty stuff. Help!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: error message
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
Hi there can I have a look at your system first ?

Download OTS to your Desktop and double-click on it to run it
  • Make sure you close all other programs and don't use the PC while the scan runs.
  • Select All Users
  • Under additional scans select the following
Reg - NetSvcs
Reg - Shell Spawning
Evnt - EventViewer Logs (Last 10 Errors)
File - Lop Check
File - Purity Scan

• Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar. Make sure not to use the PC while the program is running or it will freeze.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Please attach the log in your next post.

Laurion

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:27:31 PM »
OTS runs the scan, says it's finished but I can see no results. It quits responding so that I have to use the task manager to shut it down. I ran it twice with the same results.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »
Could you run it in safe mode please after running this programme

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Laurion

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 03:38:18 AM »
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3930

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18975

12/2/2010 8:13:25 PM
mbam-log-2010-12-02 (20-13-25).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 326818
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 54 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7fe26be2-b923-4b41-9834-e84da1cc1f96} (Adware.ClosetMaid) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3930

That is a very old version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as it is now at V1.50 and definitions version 5237

Please re-download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then follow essexboy's advice:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

Laurion

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
Sorry about that, should have checked to be sure of updated programs. I guess I am going to have to insist the grands bring me this laptop once a week just so I can make sure all is well. I am attaching the last results of the Malwarebytes quick scan. My add/remove program is now working as well as Avast being able to work properly.
I have a question about a couple programs on this machine, Slingbox and Browser Defender published by Threat Expert Ltd. Are these two offending software?

swarnava

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast & all other security related program from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation. Maybe you should boot in Safe Mode.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
I will disagree with the others. Try downloading Ad-Aware Free Internet Security from www.cnet.com. Then run a full system scan...this will take a while. Do not run any other programs while the scan is running. Two other downloads I recommend are WinUtilities Free and Advanced SystemCare Free both of which are available from cnet.com. As far as Ad-Aware vs. MBAM I prefer Ad-Aware, but to each his own. I found that Ad-Aware Free was better at finding nasty things than MBAM. Good luck.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

swarnava

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »

Do not use the Ad-ware Internet Security when Avast is installed. They will conflict with each other. You should never install 2 AV programs on the same computer.

I think that most of the helpers here, especially the certified helpers, will agree that MBAM is preferred over Ad-aware.

But by all means, follow Essexboy's advice since he is a certified malware expert.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:52:03 PM by CharleyO »

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Do not follow Swarnava/Heaven GOD's advice!

Advanced SystemCare Free is from IOBit:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217

Ad-Aware is useless and has not kept up with MBAM

WinUtilities Free is very limited and want you to upgrade to the Pro version.

CCleaner is much better..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:01:34 PM by YoKenny »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Wow! Sometimes no advice is good advice. I would definitely follow Essexboy on this as he knows exactly what he is doing. He is a malware removal expert. I have already chosen who I would want help from if I were to have problems and most of them have 5 or 6 stars under their name.

I have a question about a couple programs on this machine, Slingbox and Browser Defender published by Threat Expert Ltd. Are these two offending software?

hxxp://www.slingbox.com/go/home
Slingbox appears to allow a user to watch TV on their computer. It appears that there is a piece of hardware that goes along with this.

hxxp://www.browserdefender.com/
"The Browser Defender™ toolbar allows you to surf safely by displaying site ratings as you browse the internet. When you visit a site, our server checks the address and Browser Defender™ displays a safety rating based on any potentially malicious behavior or threats associated with the site."

Browser defender displays site ratings. Avast's webshield blocks access to malicious sites and does a good job of it. I personally don't feel a need for any more toolbars. In fact, I don't have any at all. Seems like every program these days is wanting to install one by default.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:49:29 PM by Charyb »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »

Do not use the Ad-ware Internet Security when Avast is installed. They will conflict with each other. You should never install 2 AV programs on the same computer.

I think that most of the helpers here, especially the certified helpers, will agree that MBAM is preferred over Ad-aware.

But by all means, follow Essexboy's advice since he is a certified malware expert.

***I have not detected any conflict with Ad-Aware. I did with MBAM.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
@ Para-Noid

When are you going to learn to Quote correctly ???

Maybe you are too paranoid using Vista and the useless Ad-Aware Free ::)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:41:23 PM by YoKenny »