Author Topic: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for GMAIL account  (Read 16548 times)

balm

ive set up my gmail account also in WLM. All seems to be running properly.

for the benefit of others having trouble with gmail and WLM,

WLM settings:

incoming imap.gmail.com, #143, disable SSL
outgoing smtp.gmail.com, #25, disable SSL

in email options, select read, plain text (will see the avast note inside the email message)

Avast SSL accounts:

gmail.com (imap), #993, select SSL
gmail.com (smtp), #25, select SSL

1. does this sound about right...?

2. my report file txt doesnt contain any detail info, even though i selected all, is this typical ?:

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Live Mail configuration & Avast settings for GMAIL account
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:59:59 AM »
So long as it is working it must be doing something right ;D
I don't use gmail so I can't speak from experience.

The report file doesn't show much detail, it is for the most part just showing when it started and when it stopped (so you can confirm it is running). It is only when you get alerts or errors, etc. that it starts reporting those. You can change the report file default settings (soft errors, OK items, Skipped items), but then the file just gets huge, full of not very valuable information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:04:29 AM »
This is how mine is set in Avast. Setting in WLM are the same as yours. You can always send a test email and see if it is scanning. Check your mail shield for the last file scanned (at the bottom). Not certain if it will work correctly if you have the same port 25 in both places.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:12:51 AM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 02:16:25 AM »
thank you,

heres what i just did, oddly this also seems to work, not sure about the port #25, in WLM, both accounts have smtp #25, the inbounds are #110, & #143

can sharing the same port #25 conflict..

i included now all ports in the troubleshoot redirects...

re. the report file, none was created for todays date, and i have all items checked to be included, even OK items, shouldnt these appear in a report txt...? all shields are showing similarily

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:19:49 AM by balm »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:48:54 AM »
Regarding the report files... I tried it with all checked and report only showed shield started and stopped. Then restarted computer and reports showed everything. Looks like you have to reboot for changes to take effect. That's a whole lot of reporting. You need or want all of this?

Actually, I tested it another way. After checking and unchecking reporting options for file shield, I disabled the file shield then re-enabled it which caused it to report correctly. Too bad the reports don't automatically change as you tick and untick the boxes. For anyone who leaves their computer on permanently or never disable/enable their shields, the reports may never reflect the changes.

Anyone care to verify this?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:13:08 AM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:07 AM »
interesting ill, try, ive NEVER seen any changes in the report files,...

balm

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »
the report file is always empty here, but i found a Mail.log file which is huge in program data

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 04:14:05 AM »
Go here: C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\report

and open EmailShield.txt

What do you see? Is it completely empty?

Does it show something like this?

* avast! Real-time Shield Scan Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Started on: Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:55:21 PM

Did you try going to mail shield/expertsettings/report file? Tick generate report file and tick all "reported items" boxes then stop and restart the mail shield? Then send and receive email to test it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:23:19 AM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 04:29:24 AM »
ok thanks now i see it worked!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:56 AM »
Good! Here is a link to the knowledgebase regarding email setup https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458&nav=0,2. It is showing gmail (POP) instead of gmail (imap). Just thought it would be useful info. I think you can also setup gmail using POP. POP downloads all headers and bodies whereas I believe imap just downloads headers. I prefer the imap better as message bodies are stored on the server until you open it. At least that's my understanding.

One question, you had mentioned that you added all ports in the troubleshoot redirects.  "i included now all ports in the troubleshoot redirects..."

Why did you do this? I would have left the Avast defaults just as they were. These are probably best left alone.

balm

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 04:48:58 AM »
so for the network , and behavior shields we must rely on the graphical interface presentation only for an immediate confirmation of activity (since no expert settings to report all)...? i assume by default only negatives are reported in this file...

balm

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
re. ports
Why did you do this? I would have left the Avast defaults just as they were. These are probably best left alone

oops i thought these were the remaps after avast does the SSL conversion, so i forced them in there, so ill leave them as they were defaulted then....thank you

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:57:13 AM »
There are no settings. I saw activity in the behavior shield a few times but never any reporting on it. I don't care too much for it when there is a detection of some type and there is nothing that shows you what it is. I think there was a post on it somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

EDIT: I think this was it. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61342.0

Below are the defaults if you don't remember them. I hope that Avast is working on a Restore to Default option.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:07:49 AM by Charyb »

balm

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:29 AM »
i appreciate all your guidance Charyb

POP downloads all headers and bodies whereas I believe imap just downloads headers. I prefer the imap better as message bodies are stored on the server until you open it. At least that's my understanding.

yes, i hadnt quite fully grasped this idea:

i think it comes down to this according to gmail:

Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your web Gmail and your email client(s). This means when you log in to Gmail using a web browser, actions you perform on email clients and mobile devices (ex: putting mail in a 'work' folder) will instantly and automatically appear in Gmail (ex: it will already have a 'work' label on that email the next time you sign in).

in gmail i have settings enable POP, and enable IMAP

balm

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:50:07 AM »
according to avast help, re. redirects:

These settings allow you to specify which ports are used for your email and web communication, if the standard ports are not used. This is important to ensure that your emails and web browsing are monitored by avast!, regardless of which ports are used.

kind of sounds all ports used should be entered here, thus the ones in SSL accounts settings...?