Author Topic: Avast Free has rendered one of my video games useless  (Read 3533 times)

affirmwealth

Avast Free has rendered one of my video games useless
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Apparently it has uninstalled or disabled the program without my knowledge or consent.  Norton Internet Security did the same thing to me with another game a few weeks ago (which is why I  uninstalled Norton). 

I find this irritating. How can I get Avast to stop disabling programs without asking me first?  Is there any way that I can get my game back?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Free has rendered one of my video games useless
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
How do you know it is avast that is disabling your game if there has been no notification by avast?,you might still have bits of norton on your system or something else maybe the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Well... two antivirus with the same actions... are you sure you're not with infected games?
You can restore the files from avast Chest (Quarantine).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
Apparently it has uninstalled or disabled the program without my knowledge or consent.  Norton Internet Security did the same thing to me with another game a few weeks ago (which is why I  uninstalled Norton). 

I find this irritating. How can I get Avast to stop disabling programs without asking me first?  Is there any way that I can get my game back?

First avast doesn't uninstall or disable anything, avast scans and alerts to infection, did that happen ?

If it did alert, then your file would be sent to the chest, but it wouldn't do this without your knowledge, see image example of avast alert.

If you got no alert then this does sound a little like conflict between low level drivers of remnants your old AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

affirmwealth

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
Okay, I checked it and I guess it wasn't Avast.  So I thought it was Windows Defender, but Defender doesn't have anything in the History or anything Quarantined either.

Now I'm trying to figure out if Norton left something on my hard drive even though I uninstalled it?

Also, Windows did say something about Defender and Avast shouldn't be running at the same time.  But that's another issue.

swarnava

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
Okay, I checked it and I guess it wasn't Avast.  So I thought it was Windows Defender, but Defender doesn't have anything in the History or anything Quarantined either.

Now I'm trying to figure out if Norton left something on my hard drive even though I uninstalled it?

Also, Windows did say something about Defender and Avast shouldn't be running at the same time.  But that's another issue.

uninstall Norton first

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:17 PM »

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003-2010 products from your computer.

1) (If possible) Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

affirmwealth

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
I used the Norton removal tool, but the games are already gone.  That's two so far...hopefully there won't be any more. 

Thanks for all your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »
Is it possible to reinstall the games?