Author Topic: Firewall Settings  (Read 3907 times)

disPlay

Firewall Settings
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
Hi,
I have a question about the Home setting and Work Setting which is the difference of both?
From what I can read Work uses Application rules. But Home from what I tested they use it too.
So I really can't see a difference.
"
Work/medium risk zone - suitable for when your computer is connected to a wider public network, including direct connections to the internet. This is the default setting and if selected, the firewall will allow communication in and out only if allowed by the "Application Rules". If no rule has been created, you will be asked to confirm whether or not communication with a particular application should be allowed."

Is this affirming that Home Setting is not seeing the application rules and alowing all the trafic done by this applications?
If so is not this dangerous even in a controlled network? 

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Firewall Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
what I can read when then firewall is on home it will allow all the traffic. in the work it will allow the in and out traffic that is ok with there list of safe connections and that's the default settings when you have installed avast internet suite for the first time.

hope this will answear your question.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

disPlay

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33:16 PM »
But The Home setting also look at the aplication rules. If I block an aplication there and I have Home setting it will not connect to the internet.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
I hope you are talking about AIS. I used AIS and never had it on home. Work from what I have read is a more secure setting and when I took my laptop out side (ex: Internet cafe or library I always changed security setting to Public for a totally secure setting.
I have recently moved away from AIS so maybe its different now. Hope I havn't misunderstood...if I have, my appologies :-\

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the difference between Home and Work is how the FW behaves on the LAN. Home is unrestricted local, but the Appl. rules still apply in regards to connecting to the internet.  Work applies the Appl. rules to all connections, internet or intranet.

disPlay

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the difference between Home and Work is how the FW behaves on the LAN. Home is unrestricted local, but the Appl. rules still apply in regards to connecting to the internet.  Work applies the Appl. rules to all connections, internet or intranet.

I think you are right, at least it seems the most obvious thing.

Can someone else also comment if this is right?