Author Topic: [Resolved] avast free and network  (Read 5321 times)

Offline frankey999

[Resolved] avast free and network
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »
Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed avast free edition on a win xp sp3 machine.  Then I tried to copy some files from my other xp machine on the network.  The file creates, but after some minutes the copy aborts with a message the network name is no longer available.  I can see all my files in the shared folders on my avast machine, and can even rename them, but can't copy any file to my avast machine.

Is there a network setting I need to change?  I've gone over everything 5 times already.

As soon as I uninstalled avast, the copy works.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:55:41 AM by frankey999 »

SafeSurf

Re: avast free and network
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
Hello frankey999 and welcome to the forum.

1. What version are you using?  5.0.677 is the latest version.
2. What is your firewall (FW) and is is blocking anything related to Avast?
3. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs including trial versions?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?
4. What kind of network do you have?

Offline frankey999

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi,

I've uninstalled, but when I look at setup_av_free.exe it says 5.0.677.0.
I'm using Windows firewall, and when I looked at it, everything seemed normal, although there were no entries under exceptions like there used to be for avg.  But there were no messages from the firewall complaining about avast when I tried to copy a file to this machine..

My only other security software is Superantispyware but it was not running, although I used to have avg but I removed it according to their complete instructions, with help from their forum.

My network is just a windows home network, very simple, 4 machines on a router.

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
Usually in situations like this it is a FW blocking it, remnants or actual security software in the machine that was not uninstalled, or malware.  You state that the FW is not blocked and that av_g was uninstalled. 

1. Have you tried to reset your router/network?

2. Have you tried to uninstall again av_g to make sure there are no remnants?  Try these sites:
http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/

3. Also check for malware to be on the safe side that we are not missing anything:
Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Thank you.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »
Hi Safesurf,

Thanks for your response, sorry to get back so late.

I've been doing some research on the "network name no longer available".  For a while I thought the problem was with my usb external drive not waking up fast enough and causing the error.  I have had no problems in the intervening time with copying files back and forth, since uninstalling avast.

However, I just re-installed avast free, ver 5.0.677, and tried to copy from my other xp machine to my c: drive on this one, and the same problem appears.  The file creates, but no data is transferred.  I have a utility which shows no data is being transferred.

I am sure avg is completely uninstalled, since I was working with one of the helpers on the avg board to completely uninstall it.

I have run superantispyware and avast and am confident I have no malware.

Let me ask you something.  When I had avg, the firewall needed exceptions in order to allow avg to run.  Does avast require exceptions in the firewall?

Actually I don't see how it can be the firewall, since a) it doesn't pop a message, and b) the file gets created, but without data, and c) it works when I remove avast.

What can be going on?

Edited to add, I tried turning off the firewall, but the problem persists.  I also tried downloading a file and that is working normally.

Edited again to add, I tried disabling avast permanently, and it still fails.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:45:23 PM by frankey999 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
I am sure avg is completely uninstalled, since I was working with one of the helpers on the avg board to completely uninstall it.
But did you run the av-g uninstaller tools I gave you in my posts above just to be sure all remnants are gone.  Usually in situations like this, remnants of security software can cause conflicts or create havoc on a machine.  It can't hurt to run the uninstaller tools to be sure, and I highly recommend it....then reboot.

I have run superantispyware and avast and am confident I have no malware.
MBAM is different and is an on-demand scanner.  You can always uninstall it later if you like.  It is something most of us here use and picks up many things that other scanners do not pick up.  Just remember to update prior to scanning and quarantine any infections (do not "delete" or do not "take no action").  The reason I am asking you to run the scan is to make sure you have no malware and this is a simple scan to get another opinion without having to run the big guns of other diagnostic tools.

Let me ask you something.  When I had avg, the firewall needed exceptions in order to allow avg to run.  Does avast require exceptions in the firewall?
With an XP FW, you should not have to add an exception since the XP FW is only a 1-way (very weak) FW.  I'm really not sure why you had to add an exception for your prior AV to work.  Did you delete this entry in the FW?  I would suggest that you get a reputable third-party FW, which provides 2-way protection, for better security once we sort out your issue.  FW's that work well with Avast are Online Armor (free and Premium), Outpost (free and paid), and Comodo without the AV (free and paid) to name a few.

Questions:
1. Have you tried resetting your router/network?
2. Have you checked your other machines to make sure they are malware-free?  Being on a network, malware can "travel" between machines.  Do you share USB/flash drives between the machines?

Suggestions:
After running the av_g uninstaller and rebooting, and you posted your MBAM log, if your problem still exists, please try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let me know your reply to the above questions, post your log, and if my suggestions helped.  If not, we'll take the next step.  Thank you.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »
Hi Safesurf,

Success!

I ran the avg uninstaller from askvg.com as you suggested, but reviewing the log seems to indicate nothing found to remove.  I had already run similar from avg.

I then ran mbam, and it found 1 item, a trojan dropper, which it quarantined.  However, it found no trojans per se.  The only time I ran the trojan dropper exe was about a year or so ago.  Does this mean there was a trojan here since then?

After re-booting, I can now copy files to this pc.

I would like to understand this.  If a trojan was here and interfering with copying files, why didn't mbam discover it?  If there was no trojan, what was interfering with the file copying?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »
I think that regardless of what the avg uninstaller said, there must have been something, as I also can't believe it was malware interaction copying between the systems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »
@ frankey999,

I'm glad to hear that things are working on your machine again.  :D  It's hard to say what caused your problem...the malware, the conflict with remnants of another AV, or something else.  But our troubleshooting seemed to resolve it.

What I would suggest you do is the following:

1.   Keep your definitions up to date for both Avast and MBAM.  By the way, make sure you have the latest MBAM v.1.50 update.
2.   Reset your router and network; routers CAN get malware.  Stick a paperclip or the end of a pen in the reset button and reset the password.
3.   Update MBAM prior to scanning, then do Quick scans on ALL your machines to be sure they are all clean, especially since you are on a network.
4.   Keep your MS Updates current.
5.   Add things to your browsers for safer browsing.  See my Signature as an example.
6.   Use common sense when browsing and do not go to risky sites.
7.   When downloading software, read what you are clicking and do not download adware toolbars which are commonly opted in; look before you click or do a Custom install to avoid putting unwanted toolbars on your machine that lead to spyware tracking or adware.
8.   Check to see that your software is up to date with the free Secunia Software Inspector http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ since software is changing all the time.  This site gives you the vendor's direct download link making it easy to upgrade your software.  Many of us here scan our machines weekly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

When you feel that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :)

Offline frankey999

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions SafeSurf.

I've been rethinking the situation, and now I'm leaning towards there having been remnants of avg that caused the problem, and not the trojan.dropper as reported by mbam.  The avg uninstaller log is pretty long, and although it seemed everything was "not found", I could have missed something.

I'm pretty careful about downloading, and usually only download from sites like cnet or softpedia.  In fact I remember getting this exe from there.  I have now uploaded this particular exe to jotti, virustotal and anubis for a second opinion, all of which reported no problem, so I'm uploading/reporting it to mbam as a possible false positive.

One question for you, is there any need to scan music and movie files, such as mp3, ogg, flac or avi, wmv, flv etc?  I thought I had read that any software that used these files, such as VLC or itunes etc would not process correctly if the file was malformed.

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
I thought I had read that any software that used these files, such as VLC or itunes etc would not process correctly if the file was malformed.
What do you mean by "malformed?"  Was the file corrupted in some way?  Can you clarify?  Thanks.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
I mean to say, if there is a virus or something buried inside an mp3 or avi file, for example, any audio or video software, such as itunes or vlc, would just ignore it.

Since the software is expecting either audio or video bytes, either the software would simply register noise or, possibly in extreme cases, it would just crash.  In either case, any virus could not run.

Therefore, is there any point to scanning audio or video files for viruses etc?

What's your opinion?

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
Personally, I would scan it.  I would not want malware anywhere on my machine.

Offline frankey999

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »
Ok, makes sense.... I'll do that.

Btw, I heard back from mbam, and they will fix in the next release so that particular exe is not identified as trojan.dropper, so it must be the case that there were avg remnants interfering with the copy.   Amazing.

I'll close this thread now.

Thanks again for your help.