Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe how do i block applications? ( resolved )  (Read 11064 times)

sw

AvastSvc.exe how do i block applications? ( resolved )
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
I am using avast 5 free and comodo firewall. Its a good combination, but there is one problem.
I am not sure if comodo firewall is able to block applications from internet if the application connection is by Avastsvc.exe
If i block avastsvc.exe thn i would beblocking off nearly all connections isn't it.
So I want to know if there is another way to block application connections in Avastsvc.exe without using avast internet security.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:19:40 AM by sw »

SafeSurf

Re: AvastSvc.exe how do i block applications?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »
You need to have Avastsvc.exe enabled (allowed access) for Avast to connect and get updates.  You do NOT want to block this since it is part of Avast.

sw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »
What I mean by application connection is just the open connection between the application and the internet. So if avast web shield scans the data transmitted by the connection, i guess the connection is from application to avast service and then to the internet.
So I am asking if comodo can block the application totally by just blocking (applicationname).exe without having to block avast service (does avast allow this?) Is there a setting to do that?

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
sw,

I'm a little confused by your question. 

-  If you want to block your FW from Avast accessing anything, then yes, block avastsvc.exe...but this basically will prevent Avast from working.

-  If you want to block another program (other than Avast) in your FW, then you would block it, but it has nothing to do with avastsvc.exe.   Is there an example you can give me to help me understand your question better?

sw

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
for example, webshield scans firefox traffic. By doing so, the received information has to go through avast service ( to be scanned) before it leaves for the internet or returns from internet to firefox.
Hence avastsvc.exe is directly accessing the internet for firefox. So what I am asking is " Can comodo firewall or any other free firewalls block firefox (for example) and not the whole avast service.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Can comodo firewall or any other free firewalls block firefox (for example) and not the whole avast service.
Yes, you would need to block the program/software or site from your firewall.

If you did not want a browser access, I would simply uninstall the browser unless it is IE because other services depend on it (but you mentioned Firefox, and this could be uninstalled).  If it was a program that you did not want to have access, you could block that directly from your firewall.

I would not disable your web shield in Avast since this would decrease your security and Avast Free is not a firewall.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »
I'd say what you're asking about is blocking localhost connections (i.e. connections between the application and AvastSvc.exe).
I can't answer that myself, I don't really know Comodo.

One thing though - avast! doesn't redirect all the http traffic into the service, only the traffic from (a list of) known browsers. So, if you really want to block firefox, OK, the question stands - but if you are afraid about other (unknown) applications connecting out through AvastSvc... it shouldn't happen.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
If you block firefox"in your example"you will just block firefox and you will not affect avast service since avast service sniff traffic and dont have any thing to do to a blocked application.
So if firefox blocked by comodo"or any firewall"avast has nothing to do to firefox connections and firefox blocking will not affect you.
I don't really know Comodo.
The god love you for that,i am sure you are so good so the god doesnt let you try comodo. ;)
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

sw

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »
I'd say what you're asking about is blocking localhost connections (i.e. connections between the application and AvastSvc.exe).
I can't answer that myself, I don't really know Comodo.

One thing though - avast! doesn't redirect all the http traffic into the service, only the traffic from (a list of) known browsers. So, if you really want to block firefox, OK, the question stands - but if you are afraid about other (unknown) applications connecting out through AvastSvc... it shouldn't happen.

Thank you that fully answers my question, its good to know that avast does not redirect connections. (I am fully able to block the application in that case)