Author Topic: Firewall slows Utorrent upload tremendously  (Read 5863 times)

zerotox

Firewall slows Utorrent upload tremendously
« on: December 05, 2010, 02:25:26 AM »

Hello everyone!
I'm using Avast IS for a couple of days (before the antivirus only) and no matter what rules I make for Utorrent the upload speed is horrible. Can anyone help with advice how to make Utorrent work properly with Avast IS as I really like the Suite very much and don't want to uninstall the firewall component.

swarnava

Re: Firewall slows Utorrent upload tremendously
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:14:08 AM »
are you sure that it is not working because of firewall? some times it depend on internet connection..check other torrent client like bitorrent, bitcomet,limewire or bitlord

zerotox

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »

Yes, absolutely. Tried different scenarios - no luck. With my previous solutions - Avira and NOD32 there wasn't such a problem. If I disable Avast firewall all is running OK. I have a very fast optic broadband - normally reaching (with restrictions even imposed) 1.5 MB upload speed and 6.1 download.

zerotox

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Can anyone at least tell me their utorrent settings in Avast firewall or how to exclude Utorrent in the firewall - not to allow everything as it definitely does not work but to exclude it from any kind of filtering at all. Or how to open a port - as is a normal thing in any other firewall.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
Can anyone at least tell me their utorrent settings in Avast firewall or how to exclude Utorrent in the firewall - not to allow everything as it definitely does not work but to exclude it from any kind of filtering at all. Or how to open a port - as is a normal thing in any other firewall.

Avast automatically creates best settings for utorrent(p2p programs). ;)

zerotox

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »
Yes, I have the same settings and my speed dropped from 800 kb/s to 16 kb/s. I have used many IS packages and 3rd party firewalls but I have never seen anything like this and also no way of simply excluding a program from filtering or opening a port.

zerotox

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »

When I chenge the zones from Public to Work then it works much better but at this setting ports 135 and 139 are open and 445 is closed which is not good enough for my security expectations. I'm really amazed - isn't there anybody with the same experience? Anybody with an explanation as to how to make Utorrent work well in the Public zone so that the ports are stealthed as well? Or should I just drop the firewall as I read many here has done. But I like the suite and really prefer to keep it.

zerotox

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »

Everything is the same tried with or without this pathetic excuse for a firewall, and when on in Public zone - no upload. And the other funny thing - when I try to add packet filter rules it simply refuses to save them the way I enter them. I'm giving up, no worth it really.
Thanks to all who tried to help.