Author Topic: I can't even get avast to run--just purchased avast 5 full version  (Read 2714 times)

jddavidson

OK--idiot alert first! How do I open the license key to put it in the place when it asks for it? When I click on the file, it says it cannot open it. I gotta tell ya, this is not user friendly to non-professionals.  Any help would be appreciated.

SafeSurf

Re: I can't even get avast to run--just purchased avast 5 full version
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »
Hello jddavidson and welcome to the forum.

What product of Avast do you have?

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »
If you right click the orange ball (toolbar) on the bottom of the screen, then click "About Avast" it will tell you what product and version you have installed on your machine.

YoKenny

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
OK--idiot alert first! How do I open the license key to put it in the place when it asks for it? When I click on the file, it says it cannot open it. I gotta tell ya, this is not user friendly to non-professionals.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi jddavidson and welcome: Also, I believe that Avast 'does' have to be installed and running before the software will except the license. I also just purchased a license for Avast Pro and when I received the license link by email I clicked on the link and the license was inserted automatically (unlike some software, you have to copy and paste the license in a box). However,when all else fails...read the instructions given in the link provided by YoKenny.
Hope you get it working.
If not, please let the evangelists know and they will surely provide further help. ;)

jddavidson

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
Version 5.0.677. Well, I finally got Avast to run. I had to do a kill first because it was preventing me getting it to run. So, it's up and running and I did a scan. Everything says it is working after a couple of items were found. However, I am still getting hijacked everytime I use a search engine. Any suggestions?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »
Is this on all searches ?

Please read carefully and follow these steps. 
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

• If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

• If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

• It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.

• If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
THEN

Download OTL  to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.

jddavidson

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
Good info--thank you. I will report back what my results are.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
Please post the OTL logs (save them as ANSI and not Unicode).  Post the  two (2) OTL logs and any other logs as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Browse (the logs will be on your desktop > Post). 

Also let us know how your machine behaves (same or different) after running the TDSSKiller.

Essexboy comes on the forum late UK time zone and will review them then.  Thank you.