Author Topic: Slowly open the main menu AVAST 5.0.677 free in (Windows XP SP3)  (Read 18125 times)

YoKenny

Re: Slowly open the main menu AVAST 5.0.677 free in (Windows XP SP3)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
This is my Free version Basic Settings.

You took no action with Malwarebytes:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyDocs (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

Let it remove what it finds.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »
Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyDocs (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowRun (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\StartMenuLogOff (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Avast and malwarebyts work together but it still remains, the same problem as before the slow response of the main menu Avast, when it is switched off Internet

Let Mbam deal with its findings..!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Sorry about that. Didn't realize that the option was not in the free version.

1. Another question I have is at what point in time are you trying to open Avast? Is it right at start up? Does it take a long time to open even after your computer has been started for say 10 minutes?

If the above doesn't work then try below. If that doesn't get it then I'm out (I dunno). ???

I have read another topic posted by you that you had performed a repair of Avast.
Maybe something did not install correctly and the repair was not able to clean it up.

Try a clean uninstall/reinstall of Avast.
Dowload Avast Free to your desktop (or whatever location is convenient for you). http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Download Avast Uninstall utility from here. http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Uninstall Avast using add/remove programs first (reboot) then follow the instructions below.

How to uninstall our software using aswClear:

1.Download aswClear5.exe on your desktop
2.Start Windows in Safe Mode
3.Open (execute) the uninstall utility
4.If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
5.Click REMOVE
6.Restart your computer

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:35:27 PM by Charyb »

caki

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »
This is my Free version Basic Settings.

You took no action with Malwarebytes:

Let it remove what it finds.

changes that MBAM found are NOT dangerous
these are the options in windows such as
1. firewall turn off
2. Microsoft Update and turn off
3. run comand
4. my documents
5. log off

I hide it in the start menu run comand,my documents,log off
regularly update windows every few days,I windows update manualy

caki

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »

Another question I have is at what point in time are you trying to open Avast? Is it right at start up? Does it take a long time to open even after your computer has been started for say 10 minutes?

If the above doesn't work then try below. If that doesn't get it then I'm out (I dunno). ???

I have read another topic posted by you that you had performed a repair of Avast.
Maybe something did not install correctly and the repair was not able to clean it up.

Dowload Avast Free to your desktop (or whatever location is convenient for you). http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Download Avast Uninstall utility from here. http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Uninstall Avast using add/remove programs first (reboot) then follow the instructions below.

4.If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
5.Click REMOVE
6.Restart your computer

I will try and do that so we will see whether there are changes

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
1. firewall turn off
Why ???
Windows firewall is better than no firewall
3. run comand
4. my documents
5. log off

Changes that MBAM found are dangerous!

Go to MBAM forum and find out for yourself:
Malwarebytes Forum > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Support > False Positives
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=42

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:50:23 PM by YoKenny »

caki

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
1. firewall turn off
Why ???
Windows firewall is better than no firewall
3. run comand
4. my documents
5. log off

Changes that MBAM found are dangerous!

Go to MBAM forum and find out for yourself:
Malwarebytes Forum > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Support > False Positives
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=42

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69556

and malwarebytes is wrong sometimes, read this YoKenny :))))

Yo Kenny, when you said the changes he found malwarebytes are dangerous just me laugh XD xaxaxxaxaxaxa

caki

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »

Another question I have is at what point in time are you trying to open Avast? Is it right at start up? Does it take a long time to open even after your computer has been started for say 10 minutes?

5.Click REMOVE
6.Restart your computer

I will try and do that so we will see whether there are changes
i unistall avast in safe mode with tool and instal later fresh avast
I have done all you've suggested and installed a fresh avast 5.0.677 but still everything is the same no change, avast slow displays the main menu without internet connection.

I was right from the start and these results support my theory why AVAST has a weak response of the main menu, it's all because avast request information from the center of avast (avast news) when opening the main menu on my desktop, you should change the avast first to see if there's an Internet connection, and not to see news from avast when opening the main menu, this correction would certainly solve a problem that is happening.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:49:39 PM by caki »

YoKenny

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »

Yo Kenny, when you said the changes he found malwarebytes are dangerous just me laugh XD xaxaxxaxaxaxa

What it says
PUM.Hijack.StartMenu <- PUM stands for Potentially Unwanted Modification.

There is no way to determine if the user has changed this or if malware has so we opt to help less knowledgeable users and assume that advanced users will understand the detection and add it to their ignore list.

In the MBAM option you can also set all PUM to ignore or even warn but do not fix.

You want help yet you ignore advice.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »
MalwareBytes indeed is wrong sometimes.  Using an option in SpywareBlaster to prevent Internet Explorer's home page from being changed results in a false positive.  Allowing MalwareBytes to remove the SB mod removes the lock.  Reboot, rescan with MBam and nothing is found.  Restore the SB mod with SpywareBlaster and it's found again.  I've added it to MBam's ignore list.

I have a cablemodem with a button on top that disconnects internet access.  This results in about 30 second or so delay in Avast's interface opening, presumably as a result of the fetch of the current ad and news retrieved by the free version I'm running.  Not a big deal.  Restore the internet connection and Avast GUI opens instantly.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

caki

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:28 PM »

What it says
PUM.Hijack.StartMenu <- PUM stands for Potentially Unwanted Modification.

There is no way to determine if the user has changed this or if malware has so we opt to help less knowledgeable users and assume that advanced users will understand the detection and add it to their ignore list.

In the MBAM option you can also set all PUM to ignore or even warn but do not fix.

You want help yet you ignore advice.
No man I have accepted your advice and turn on fireval wall but no change for the better
PUM.Hijack.StartMenu <- PUM stands for Potentially(does not mean 100%) Unwanted Modification.

If the user turned off something that is not dangerous, to say and the malwarebytes forum, malwarebytes only in this way informs the user about the changes noted
PUM acronym that means.

If something is changed without user knowledge that could be considered dangerous

please notify avast team about this problem and the cause of which I wrote at the beginning of the post

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:25:42 PM by caki »

Gargamel360

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »
please notify avast team about this problem and the cause of which I wrote at the beginning of the post
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me

I am pretty sure they already knew about it.

caki

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
I hope that someone will solve it in the Avast team, I will meet again on the forum for 10 days, if nothing is done about this problem.

To remind you again :)

bye bye........

Gargamel360

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
Your polite dedication is admirable.  Thanks  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
MalwareBytes indeed is wrong sometimes.

As you are running Malwarebytes Free you are not qualified to post answers.

@ Caki

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.