Author Topic: I Think I'm Infected STUCK ON SCAN HELP PLZ  (Read 11717 times)

Probzzie

Re: I Think I'm Infected STUCK ON SCAN HELP PLZ
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 03:24:51 AM »
Ok so I switched drives and a couple of things I noticed off the hop... I posted a couple weeks ago about vista stopping avast from loading... Its not stopping it anymore so I think that is where the virus threats started.. I should of been more persistant and kept to my instinct that something malicous was probably the cause of this.

All my program files were on the WD hard drive and I was hoping that as soon as re-installed vista onto this drive all would work again... HIGH HOPES HAHAHAHA
Ya im getting the application failed to start side by side config. etc.

Boo guess i have to reinstall everything

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »
Yes, unfortunately, programs installed on another hard drive won't be "installed" when you reformat and install windows again.

The problem is that all of the program's information are stored in the windows registry.  While the program's information are still on a separate hard disk, Windows won't know where to look for dll's and other files about the program until they are re-installed (and put back into the registry).

It's odd that the self-diagnostics just restarted the computer.  I've never seen that before (and I've been doing this since I was 8 years old, now 27). Of course, I haven't had many hard drives fail with that brand. WD and Maxtor are another story).

I've found that running diagnostics and having the computer reboot or do funky things while installing an OS can also point at a bad CPU, but not always.  It's a hard thing to diagnose.  To find out fully, it usually takes diagnosing each part individually with a known working system, or working with a bare-bones system and working your way up.

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to get Windows installed again and all of your programs working properly.  As for the defunct drive, you might be able to hook that up to an external hard drive reader of some sort and copy any files that you may need from it if it is in fact going bad.  This won't restore your programs, but at least your docs, mail, internet favorites etc.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help you any further!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Probzzie

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »
Ya so i installed the other hard drive and all went good..
Funny story: Installed windows on a new hard drive leaving my WD in my system and when windows finished installing and i was at the desktop I opened task manager and low and behold.... searchprotocolhost.exe STILL there...  I was almost at a loss until it dawned on me..... Its a brand new drive so obviously the infection the WHOLE time was on my secondary.... Thats why Malwarebyte's didnt find it. MBAM was set to check just C:\
So now its working good, I got MBAM to check the drive and it found the rk rogue. Thanks for your help scythe

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
Well, that figures...  :P

Glad you got it fixed!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum