we'll soon be releasing a new build of avast - version 5.1. This includes the three "consumer" editions of avast - i.e. avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security. The business products (avast! Business Protection and avast! Business Protection Plus) unfortunately aren't ready for the prime time yet and will be released later.
As usual, we're making the new version available for public testing before it's officially released.
Version 5.1.803 still misses a few things that will be in the next couple of days. For example, some of the Behavior Shield changes aren't there in this build yet (but there's a progress compared to the previous builds 5.1.798/803).How to get it
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.807/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.807/setup_av_pro.exe
IS: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/5.1.807/setup_ais.exeHow to install it
Just run the setup executable (links above). You can either install it from scratch, or on top of an existing avast installation (installing over both 5.0.xxx or 4.8.yyy should be fine). A reboot will be required to complete the installation.
If you're already running a previous v5.1 beta, you can go to this build by simply invoking the Program Update feature from within the avast! UI.What's new
Most notable improvements include:
- Boot-time scanner for 64-bit OSes (finally!)
- Behavior Shield improvements - now with more sensors and able to detect exact offenders*
- Improved cleaning of infected computers
- Improved anti-rootkit engine - now capable of dealing with the latest TDL variants, for example
- Web Shield improvements (both stability and performance related)
- Mail and Web Shields not hosted in separate NT services anymore, resulting in much faster starts
- IS: new version of antispam engine
- Sound packs (more info coming later)*The Behavior Shield functionality is still incomplete in this build. And even in the final v5.1, it will work only in "passive mode", which means that the new sensors will be active but won't be stopping the attacks, just reporting them to our backend infrastructure (unless you have opted out from the avast! community membership). This is to allow us to collect enough data before enabling the real thing in Q1 2011.Changes in the latest build build 5.1.807
please see here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67373