Author Topic: Avast 5 has been stopped or is in an inconsistent state...  (Read 4765 times)

Emz99

Avast 5 has been stopped or is in an inconsistent state...
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Help!! Avast 5.0.677 (free)

Just gone to start a scan of my computer as its been doing strange things recently and this the message i get at the top of my sumary screen. If i click on 'Fix now' or 'Start Program' nothing seems to happen.

From the stats page it seems it stopped working Tues/Wed night.

I i try to start any of the scans i get an error message saying - Unable to start scans as no endpoints available

I'm reluctant to remove the programm and reinstall it, as i had issues getting the free years registration code to work!

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5 has been stopped or is in an inconsistent state...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.8821.762) UI 1.0.796/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

HI DavidR: I have had the same issue as EMz99 a number of times in the past and have used Avast Free for about a year now. The 'Repair' option for solving the problem unfortunately hasn't worked for me...so of course the next step I believe is a 'clean' uninstall from Add and Remove.. and 'clean' reinstall (with a boot into Safe Mode and running Avast Clean tool for me) and that has always worked. :D
I'm sure that will be your next set of instructions if "Repair" doesn't work for EMz99.
My only question is why does this issue seem to be very common...is it a glich than can be solved? Or something more complicated?? :-\
Thanks  ;)

Emz99

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Heya

I tried that DavidR - the Avast installation window appears, but with nothing else on it apart from the cancel button.

schmidthouse - could you explain that in laymans terms? aka for a blonde person! Will i not lose my years regstration if i do a complete re-install?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »

My only question is why does this issue seem to be very common...is it a glich than can be solved? Or something more complicated?? :-\
Thanks  ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Heya
I tried that DavidR - the Avast installation window appears, but with nothing else on it apart from the cancel button.
schmidthouse - could you explain that in laymans terms? aka for a blonde person! Will i not lose my years regstration if i do a complete re-install?
Hello, Emily
Odd that the repair option is not there, it always appears from the drop-down menu in add/remove programs, even if nothing needs repairing.

Do you have any other security programs (Anti-viruses in particular) on this PC?  That can cause odd problems, they are not made to play well together.
But, if you need to clean re-install, Scmidt's instructions are correct.

Link to the mentioned Avast! uninstaller>>http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Only thing to add is Safe Mode (where you would want to run the Avast! uninstaller) is accessed by tapping F8 when you startup/reboot PC.  And re-registering should be easy, you will not lose your free year.

How did I know your name?  Educated guess. ;) Your email address is showing, you might want to hide it to not get spam harvested. Click on "Profile" up above, then "ForumProfileInfo", check "Hide email address from public".  You will still see it displayed, but it will be hidden from others.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
Heya

Hi Emz99: No you don't lose the registration option..you simply Register again the same way
any time you uninstall and reinstall Avast Free. :)
First I would wait (if you can) to download the new version of Avast Free 5.1( CHECK THAT..BEST TO STAY AWAY FROM THE BETA VERSION FOR NOW) ::)

The process is as follows. Make sure that you have the Installer pkg (at least 5.677) which can be downloaded from Avast Website if you don't already have it saved on your Hardrive
Local Disk(C:). Also have the Avast Cleanup Utility saved to your Hardrive. I don't have the direct link but it can be googled and downloaded.
First uninstall Avast from the Control Panel..Add and Remove Programs...and scroll down till you see Avast. Click on the Remove button and options will appear...Click on Uninstall and let the uninstaller run... upon completion then reboot your computer.
Second, once computer is up and running..then shut down reboot into safe mode by tapping F8 repeatedly at the "very beginning" of computer restart.You should get a Black Screen with a list of Choices. Use your UP Arrow to navigate up to Safe Mode and Press Enter. Once in Safe Mode Find the Avast Clean Utility you saved to Local Disk (C:) and double click. Once open you will see a list of Avast products...make sure you scroll down to Avast 5 Free/Pro/AIS Products and choose. Then click Uninstall and let that run to completion...It will say Finished at the botton of open box. Close the box by clicking on (X) and choose YES if asked to restart your Computer. When computer starts up again Reinstall the Avast Product and Register when asked and all should be good....If not post again and see what further can be done. ;)
No Worries.. :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:44:50 AM by schmidthouse »