Author Topic: Forum Suggestion  (Read 4797 times)

Nagan

Forum Suggestion
« on: December 08, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
Hi,
I am not able to track my posts from search on entering the user name despite entering a "*" in the search box.A message asking to input a text in the search box can be avoided. In case it is blank , it should bring out all the posts from the user.
Thanks!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Forum Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
If you click on the user's name (even your own), you can then click "Show the last posts of this person" and have a list of everything that's been posted by them.

If you post something, and would like to see any responses to it, just click the "Show new replies to your posts" link on the top of every page in the forum.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Nagan

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
If you click on the user's name (even your own), you can then click "Show the last posts of this person" and have a list of everything that's been posted by them.

Thanks for the reply. But in the search tab I have the options to search by topics or posts , search by recent etc. Unfortunately these options are not available by clicking from user name as you suggested..

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »
I understand that, but I'm trying to explain to you that you don't need to use the search function for keeping track of your own posts.

The forum already has that function built-in, which is what the "Show new replies to your posts" is for.

The search function is usually meant for looking at other's posts for certain topics / subjects / info.

For example, now that I've replied to your post (what I'm typing right now), if you simply click the "Show new replies to your posts" link, it will show this topic, as it has a new reply.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:41:55 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Nagan

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
Yeah, I was unable to track my post made on "infected files" a few days ago. I had to search for long. Besides clicking on  a user name has a precondition of being logged in , or to track him thru other posts. I was suggesting an easy and helpful feature commonly found in discussion forums. :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:18 PM »
Hi Nagan, you can also go to profile and then show post's, that will show every post you have made.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
Hi Nagan, you can also go to profile and then show post's, that will show every post you have made.

I already explained that in my first response

If you post something, and would like to see any responses to it, just click the "Show new replies to your posts" link on the top of every page in the forum.

swarnava

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
SMF release 1.1.12 many days ago..why admin doesnot upgrade it..by the way 2.0 will be release soon  :P..maybe admin waiting for it
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:01:51 PM by Swarnava/Heaven GOD »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
Yeah, I was unable to track my post made on "infected files" a few days ago. I had to search for long. Besides clicking on  a user name has a precondition of being logged in , or to track him thru other posts. I was suggesting an easy and helpful feature commonly found in discussion forums. :)

Ok, here's my point.  If you made a post on "infected files" a few days ago, and someone replied to it, then you would easily find it by using the "Show new replies to your posts" that I've suggested 3 times now.

If it doesn't show up, that means nothing has changed or no posts have been made to that thread.

If you still wanted to go back to the post that you made, you can use the other suggestion that I made, which is clicking on your name (or clicking "Profile" as craigb suggested, which is the same thing as clicking on your name), then click the "Show last posts of this person".  That will give you a list of EVERYTHING you have posted, so you can find the thread again.

I'm not sure how this is still unclear to you.

Nagan

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »

If you still wanted to go back to the post that you made, you can use the other suggestion that I made, which is clicking on your name (or clicking "Profile" as craigb suggested, which is the same thing as clicking on your name), then click the "Show last posts of this person".  That will give you a list of EVERYTHING you have posted, so you can find the thread again.

I'm not sure how this is still unclear to you.

That is right.But in case the number of posts is very huge , I should be able to track it on thread basis. Moreover I can see the first few threads in (view by early date of posting).Moreover if it is in a regular search mode I could an indication of what thread I created vs if i have posted in someone else's thread becomes visible. This feature helps me a lot in a few forums , where the participation has been for long.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
That is right.But in case the number of posts is very huge , I should be able to track it on thread basis.
I can't track 3464 pages, neither using thread basis ;D
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »
This feature helps me a lot in a few forums , where the participation has been for long.

As a Newbie here you have a lot to learn like that your email is visible for spammers and scammers.

Read what scythe944 says as  "Show new replies to your posts" works well.   ;)

Nagan

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

As a Newbie here you have a lot to learn like that your email is visible for spammers and scammers.

Read what scythe944 says as  "Show new replies to your posts" works well.   ;)
Thnx for the advice. By the way if a feature is allowed to see "BY THREAD" it will be more helpful in the long run.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
One more post and you will be able to go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
That is right.But in case the number of posts is very huge , I should be able to track it on thread basis.
I can't track 3464 pages, neither using thread basis ;D

This is true tech.  But with the two ways of finding posts that I've already mentioned, we also have the "Notify" feature as well.  All of those tools combined should be enough for anyone to find what they need and track posts.

The search function seems to work for me, provided that you're good with it.

At any rate, the OP must be used to another forum software, and the functionalities that he's looking for are probably just not possible without using other software.