Author Topic: Virus Data Base Out of Date Error  (Read 4006 times)

gwheaton

Virus Data Base Out of Date Error
« on: August 18, 2004, 01:05:33 AM »
This might have been asked before, but could not find it doing a search.

When I boot my computer up, Avast pops up with a red box saying my virus database is out of date and to update.  The version of the avast database file is the current one.  When I try to update, it says I have the latest version.

I have cable modem, so I am connected to the internet. I am running sygate Firewall.

Also, today, when I booted, I got a message that the virus database had been updated.  I did a reboot after that then I started getting the out of date virus data base error again.,  So I know when I start, that it is connecting to avast and checking for newer versions, because it did download a new version.  Just wondering why I get this message.

Any help would be great.  And thanks Avast for such a great program.

Gordon

whocares

Re:Virus Data Base Out of Date Error
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 01:09:09 AM »
Please check the date & time in your WIN/BIOS

if it's not always correct before and after a reboot, try replacing the main-board/CMOS-battery..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 04:29:39 AM »
Gwheaton, the red box you mentioned and the fact you're using a cable modem make me think you're experiencing some trouble with automatic updates at startup.
Try to setup a longer delay (60 seconds for instance) into your avast4.ini file. See details in the link 'settings' on my signature (search for the word 'delay')  ;)
The best things in life are free.

gwheaton

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 02:22:39 AM »
Whocares:  Clock is set correct.

Techinal:  I did a search for Delay and did not find anything.  I searched the web page and the Avast.ini file.

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 02:31:22 AM »
Whocares:  Clock is set correct.

Techinal:  I did a search for Delay and did not find anything.  I searched the web page and the Avast.ini file.

Hiya,

I'm no guru, just a user like you.  Have you tried a manual update and does that fail also?

Manual update by right clicking avast icon in the system tray and choosing update.. iavs update?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 03:23:24 AM »

I was not talking about your avast4.ini file but the link on my signature (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647)

There you can see what is below.
Set AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=60
You won't have this line. Just add it in the correct section of avast4.ini file.
Will it help?

Section and KeysValuesNotes and value description
[InetWD] Define which Internet connection do you have
UpdatePeriod240Time (minutes) for update checking
UseRAS1If you have a dial-up = 1; If you have a permanent connection (DSL) = 0
AssumeAlwaysConnected0If you have a dial-up = 0; If you have a permanent connection (DSL) = 1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds30Number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
The best things in life are free.