Author Topic: Avast! Suspicious Files Found Issue  (Read 6147 times)

stxNTrm06

Avast! Suspicious Files Found Issue
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
Suspicious Files Found Window

No full file path displaying, no copy option, no log recording. What action one should take against something only avast! knows what it is ? How about if it is a real infection ?

Thanks. ::)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast! Suspicious Files Found Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
Hello and welcome: Do you have "Tune Up Utility" software installed on your system?
If you could provide more details about your OS this would serve to allow an evangelist to better provide advice/directions to answer your questions.
For a start: What OS are you running? What securtiy software do you have installed and previously installed? What version of Avast are you running?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:12:55 PM by schmidthouse »

stxNTrm06

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:29:47 PM »
" ... Tune Up Utility software installed, details about OS, securtiy software installed ... "

Those are not serious. I'm demanding a simple thing: just avast! to display/copy to clipboard the f-ing path. That is all.

Of course, the file was "discovered" (jpg picture, 1 kB) and submited to avast! lab but if that is the way, to make "investigations", to find avast! alarmed suspicious files, then it renderes this avast! feature to completely useless.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
" ... Tune Up Utility software installed, details about OS, securtiy software installed ... "

Those are not serious. I'm demanding a simple thing: just avast! to display/copy to clipboard the f-ing path. That is all.

Of course, the file was "discovered" (jpg picture, 1 kB) and submited to avast! lab but if that is the way, to make "investigations", to find avast! alarmed suspicious files, then it renderes this avast! feature to completely useless.

My appoliies if I misunderstood you. I'm sure someone will assist you as soon as possible.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 02:54:42 AM »
@ stxNTrm06,
I'm demanding a simple thing: just avast! to display/copy to clipboard the f-ing path.
May I remind you about net-etiquette and not using foul or offensive language since we have children reading the forum.  The person who first responded to your post was simply trying to help you and gather information which you should have provided in your first post since I will now have to obtain it from you anyway.  In addition, the first poster also has TuneUp Utilities and could have been helpful in problem-solving with you, but you "demanded a simple thing" instead.

I will need the following information from you to assist you:

1. What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2. What version and product of Avast are you using?
3. What other security software are you currently using (AV, FW, trial versions, other security software), and in the past
4. What were you doing when you got this pop-up alert from Avast?
5. Have you done any Avast Scans since getting this pop-up?  If so, what type of scans?  Clean?  If infected, please provide a screen shot of the Virus Chest.

What action one should take against something only avast! knows what it is ? How about if it is a real infection?
You selected the action to take as "Ignore."  If this was a real virus, then might be in trouble.  Always think...do no harm [to your machine].  Put the malware, even if it is a false positive (FP) in the Virus Chest initially where it is safe as your action to take.  Once it is in the Chest, you can always rescan it and restore it...doing no harm.

You did the correct thing in uploading the file to Avast for further analysis.  This will be done during the next virus definitions update.  Therefore, we recommend that items placed in the Chest remain there for 14 - 30 days to be rescanned while Avast analyzes items and updates definitions.  Sometimes an item in the Chest will be "infected" and at a later date it may come come out clean.

Given the fact that you took the action of "ignore," I would suggest that you make sure your Avast definitions are current, run a Full Avast scan, and if you have a 32-bit machine run a Boot-time scan.  You can also run an MBAM Full scan - Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner and make sure you update it prior to scanning.  Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  If anything is found, please post your log (cut and paste) to this thread.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »

What OS and other software do you have? If you get another warning like this do the safe thing "move to chest" and send it to the lab. The people at avast know what they are doing. After all they have been doing this for a long,long time. Also you can trust SafeSurf and DavidR. They have helped me in the past and both are very informative. Even when I don't have a question I read what they say just to learn something new.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »

Also you can trust SafeSurf and DavidR. They have helped me in the past and both are very informative.

Where did DavidR reply to this thread?? ???...No disrespect to DavidR ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
I guess we need to wait for the OP to reply before we can do anything else.  Thank you schmidthouse for your assistance.  :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
I guess we need to wait for the OP to reply before we can do anything else.  Thank you schmidthouse for your assistance.  :)

You are welcome! ;)