Author Topic: Avast is frozen in stop processing mode  (Read 8577 times)

sugarmuffin57

Avast is frozen in stop processing mode
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
I decided to try and force delete a decompression bomb. When it kept running I tried to stop the process and now it is stuck and I cannot unintall Avast or even shut down my computer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast is frozen in stop processing mode
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
Which is the file name and path?
Why do you need to uninstall avast?
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
I decided to try and force delete a decompression bomb. When it kept running I tried to stop the process and now it is stuck and I cannot unintall Avast or even shut down my computer.

Hallo, is this Mac or Linux related? There's an internal decompression-bomb detection, so that the bombs won't stop the scanning for too long. Please, what file is causing this "frozen" (is it really frozen? try the top utility to monitor the cpu usage of avast's core) state?

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

pteplitz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
Avast stopped working on my computer too and stayed in Stopping:Processing mode for several hours. I was able to quit Avast but lost the initial scan of my disk which caught 6 viruses! I had tried to delete one (maybe clicked it twice when nothing seemed to happen) and it said I couldn't while a process was running. So after a while I clicked Stop and Avast hung with the spinning wheel. What did I do wrong? ???

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:36:07 AM »
Avast stopped working on my computer too and stayed in Stopping:Processing mode for several hours. I was able to quit Avast but lost the initial scan of my disk which caught 6 viruses! I had tried to delete one (maybe clicked it twice when nothing seemed to happen) and it said I couldn't while a process was running. So after a while I clicked Stop and Avast hung with the spinning wheel. What did I do wrong? ???

Hallo,
you can run "top" utility, sort by CPU usage (prs "c" for this - or other keys for memory usage or some other suitable field). Note the PID of avast's main process (not the avastgui shell wrapper, but the main binary from /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin).

Then, you can just do ls -l /proc/THAT_AVASTGUIS_PID/fd and you will have a clue which file was processed when the problem occured. And that's the info we're interested in, try to reproduce the situation with this particular file and send it to cimbal@avast.com, thanks.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)