Author Topic: Stupid question...  (Read 9088 times)

LaurieJ31981

Stupid question...
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:41:45 PM »
Well I don't know if it's stupid or not but here goes lol. I just downloaded the avast software and it has pulled up that I had a Trojan virus and it was infecting a bunch of files...I did the scan so when it boots up it scans the C drive...and that's when it found the virus, I did it twice actually and more instances of it came up again. My question is, when you have the options of deleting, repairing, ignoring and so on...If I hit #2 to delete all is that going to get rid of the virus that was found?. I've tried a few different Anitvirus programs and this was the only one so far to pick up the Trojan virus so I am definitely greatful for it, just kind of confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
 :) Laurie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 09:48:06 PM »
Laurie, never have stupid questions... only stupid answers  8)
Wellcome to avast forums...

You're probably using Windows XP (as you schedule a boot time scanning and cannot delete the virus).

Please, stop 'System restore' (Control Panel > System > System Restore and then disable it).
Run a full scanning with avast (archives included).
Send the infected files - if any - to Chest. After we can see which is the virus and what you will have to do... Chest is safe and don't let you 'lose' important files...
After all, enable system restore...

Anyway, can't you delete the file when you run a boot time scanning? This is strange...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:07:13 PM »
I can delete when I run a boot time scanning. I just wasn't sure if that got rid of it totally. I have another question too...While I was doing the scan it said a windows file was corupted by the virus and asked permission to delete it, but I said no because I was afraid to mess with any windows files. So now that file is still messed up from the virus.

But anyways, so if I select delete files while doing a boot time scan it should be all set?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:17:11 PM »
But anyways, so if I select delete files while doing a boot time scan it should be all set?

Yes, on theory... if that file is not a system needed file...
The best as I said is send the file to Chest.
Do you know the name (and path) of the file and the name of the virus?

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:30:34 PM »
Well all I know is it's a Trojan virus...and now everything seems to be running smoothly except for my AOL and AIM. I have tried everything. I talked to someone from AOL tech support last night and he said the AOL files were corrupted from the Trojan virus. So I uninstalled the reinstalled the AOL software like he said. The thing is all my IM's are delayed, the other person gets them fine but on my screen, they take a little bit to go through and I can't do anything else until it finally sends. Which is a pain in the butt lol.. I don't own this computer, I rent it so I am thinking about sending it back and just having them set it back to the original settings and upgrading the memory from a 128mb to a 256 mb of Ram. Then start over because I have an awful feeling that this comp is just gonna start slowly getting worse and worse and then crash.

But anymore help on trying to get my comp back to where it was, running good that would be appreciated  :)

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 10:35:05 PM »
256mb is really not enough for XP to run decent.

Click on the link in my signature and follow the instructions on that page to clean your system. After doing so, let us know if you still have problems.

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 04:12:17 AM »
256mb is really not enough for XP to run decent.

Click on the link in my signature and follow the instructions on that page to clean your system. After doing so, let us know if you still have problems.

Well I did everything I had to do...Everything seems ok, except for AOL and AIM. I dunno if it has something to do with the software itself or it's my comp, but the Instant Messages are delayed and driving me crazy, I hate slowness lol. But anyways, thanks for your help. :)

Hopefully I'll figure out the IM thing soon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 04:14:11 AM »
Laurie, I do not use (nor reccomend) AOL and AIM...
But, can't you reinstall them?

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 04:16:22 AM »
I am getting rid of AOL just using it for this last month since they gave it to me free so I wouldn't cancel, but I am canceling it. So I can just get rid of that. But I like AIM cause it's how I chat with everyone. But even with AIM the IM's are delayed.

What Instant messenger would you recomend?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 04:21:10 AM »

avast IM (link above) !  ;D
Joking, I do not use IM. In the past I tryed ICQ.
AOL is an application you cannot get rid from it... It's terrible...

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 04:25:35 AM »
Yeah, I have nothing but problems with AOL. I had dialup with them and I just recently got DSL though my phone company, which works good but it would be better if my computer was better. I have windows xp with 26 gb's and 128 mb of ram. It's not great at all.

I rent this computer because my other one crashed so I might call tomorrow and see if I can get this one upgraded, before it starts to really slow down.

LaurieJ31981

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 05:01:07 AM »
I did the uninstall and reinstall and it's still the same  :'( Nothing is fixing my Instant message issue.

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 05:11:34 AM »

Like Technical, I gave up on those IM programs. I've not used those in 4 years. There are known security holes in everyone of those IM programs. Besides, those text IM's are so boring!

A better alternative to text only IM's can be found in my profile!    ;)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 05:12:16 AM by CharleyO »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 10:23:37 AM »
None, I recommend IRC.

Vervain

Re: Stupid question...
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:40 AM »
I have a question about Avast I ran a scan at boot up and I regularly scan and it says I have a Trojan in one or more of my system files and it will not fix it what do I do? My comp is acting crazy....for instance I have blue screen instead of a wallpaper and can not fix it....I have removed every ad ware on my comp I can find and I am still getting pop ups.....my comp has over 40% free space and it is running like I have 2% free. I followed the link in "Eddy's" sig so I hope some of those things will fix this but not sure.  Oh and I can not remove adobe to reinstall a newer version.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:27:18 AM by Vervain »