Author Topic: adding an email account  (Read 4460 times)

Chrissypa

adding an email account
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:09:13 AM »
I have been trying for over an hour to get avast to scan my incoming email. It scans my regular ok but I want it to scan my msn account when it comes in. Help! ???

inthewildteam

Re:adding an email account
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 01:18:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too.

I'm not familiar with msn, is it a web based account?  If it is, then avast email scanner won't work but the standard shield will if any files from that programme are downloaded to your machine.

Chrissypa

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 01:22:02 AM »
I meant my hotmail account. And you have to pay to have Yahoo forwarded. So I shouldn't have my hotmail account forwarded? I seemed to be getting more virus's when I had it that way, then I realized avast wasn't scanning it. I am in alot of groups and don't have a big box with my ISP so have to have a bigger account.

inthewildteam

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 01:28:43 AM »
I meant my hotmail account. And you have to pay to have Yahoo forwarded. So I shouldn't have my hotmail account forwarded? I seemed to be getting more virus's when I had it that way, then I realized avast wasn't scanning it. I am in alot of groups and don't have a big box with my ISP so have to have a bigger account.

As far as I understand (I'm still learning also) you need to have standard shield set to high and have it check all files.  Are you familiar with avast's interface and how do do this?

Keep with this thread because it has been my experience that many (more knowledgeable) members will be able to help you, and in a very short time!

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:32:23 AM »
Just found this further down the forum, it might help you.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6759

Chrissypa

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:58:37 AM »
I set my standard shield to high. When I recieved a mail from hotmail it seemed to be added to last scanned. Thank You!!

inthewildteam

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 02:01:44 AM »
You're very welcome, thanks for replying.

Take note, there's a wealth of information in these forums, and all because we are all learning from each other.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 03:37:38 AM »
I set my standard shield to high. When I recieved a mail from hotmail it seemed to be added to last scanned. Thank You!!

The High sensitivity of the Standard Shield is scanning the files (email) downloaded and stored in your computer.
But, speaking technically, avast does not protect hotmail accounts because hotmail does not use pop3/smtp protocols to receive/send emails.

For other email accounts choose Internel Mail Provider or, if you use Outlook (not Express) the special plugin (MS Outlook/Exchange).

Hope it helps. Wellcome to forums.

See what David posted elsewhere:

Standard Shield checks your Yahoo/Hotmail in the same way it checks pages, etc. that are downloaded into your temporary Internet folder.

When you view your web based email, you are looking at an internet page that has been downloaded into your temp internet folder and then displayed on your screen. It is not downloaded in the same way as regular pop3 email.

To ensure that yahoo/hotmail (which is likely to have been virus checked at source) receives further protection set your sensitivity to High and scan all created/modified files.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 04:03:57 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.