Author Topic: REFORMAT?  (Read 3080 times)

kellio

REFORMAT?
« on: August 20, 2004, 07:54:30 PM »
hello, everyone...

i have major problems with my computer.  ive gone into other forums before, asking which scans to get, what to do, etc., and ive followed all the directions... which makes my computer run *better, but not great*, only for a couple weeks, max.  the amount of popups ive been getting recently is ridiculous.  my homepage keeps getting hijacked.  internet explorer keeps telling me it has 'encountered a problem and must close'... itll be a miracle if i can even post this without it closing out on me.  ive tried so many things... and i know reformatting is a last resort, but this is getting insane.  everything on my computer is running ridiculously slow to the point where im about to throw the damn thing down a flight of stairs, while lit on fire, only to find a large man at the bottom to smash it with a hammer.  thats right, i said it.

in other words, we are close to taking it in to have it fixed, cleaned, etc... but who knows how much thatll cost.  i figure if theres a way to do it for free, why not try it.  alas, i come to you guys... hoping you can help out this poor girl in distress.

if ANYONE knows how to reformat windows xp and clean it up completely... just like the good ol' days when i had win98 and it actually came with a disk to do it... please dont hesitate to let me know.  hopefully you will get back to me before my computer has been smashed into pieces by either me, or the large man noted above.

thanks so much... i appreciate this greatly... and will be in debt to you forever if you can tell me how to do it.  hell, you can have my first- through fourth-born children if you want.

impatiently awaiting,
kellio

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:REFORMAT?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 09:31:38 PM »
which makes my computer run *better, but not great*, only for a couple weeks, max
Sounds like you need to learn how to secure your system and how to use it safely.

Click on the link in my signature and follow the steps as explained there. Let us know if it solved your problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:REFORMAT?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »
Eddy is right.

What is the point of a re-format? The same things are going to happen again if you continue with the same security practices.

Follow the information and instruction on the link in his signature and you should be well on your way to securing your system.

You might even find your system runs better and doesn't need to be re-formatted. But, if it does you will at least have learnt a valuable lesson in how to secure your system and keep it that way.

David
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 12:03:36 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security