Author Topic: RPC error revisted  (Read 7942 times)

water

RPC error revisted
« on: August 19, 2004, 05:53:46 AM »
I'm reposting my original query since it wasn't answered the first time. And this error is relatively common to others on this board, so it is not some other program during startup. Nothing has changed with my computer since this behavior started except for AVAST - logic dictates AVAST is the culprit. >:(

"Having the exact same problem with XP Pro. Mine takes over a minute to start up. The services are on automatic but not started and when they are started it still takes the same amount of time. Each time I boot, the problem returns.

Here's what the log says:

aswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::OnCreate() !m_strErrorWnd.IsEmpty().
Error in aswChestC: chestOpenList Error 1753.
aswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::LoadFiles() chestOpenList() failed: 2147422219. "

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:RPC error revisted
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:18:35 AM »
Remove Avst using THIS util. Reboot and reinstall Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 01:44:10 PM »
If what Eddy said does not correct the installation, maybe if you use RejZoR's application (download 'Control' in my signature) and try to change the Database storage method from ODBC to XML.
More details in 'Settings' on my signature too (search for the word XML).

Can you post the results?
Sorry for not answering your first question but we, the users, tried to do so  ;)
The best things in life are free.

mglenney

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »
Hi all.  Here's some additional information which may help in troubleshooting this bug.

I'm having the same problem.  System is Win2k with all available critical patches from MS installed.  Additionally, Media Player 9, DirectX9.0, .Net Framework 1.1 and MS Office Professional 2003 with SP1 are installed.  This is a computer I was reimaging for a customer so it was a clean install.  Computer is Compaq Armada e500, PIII 700 with 256MB RAM.

I first followed Eddy's suggestion but that did not fix the problem.  I then followed Technical's suggestion to change DB to XML and it also did not fix the problem.

When I look at the services right after bootup (before avast comes online) RPC service is started and Avast Antivirus service says "starting".

Looking at Event Viewer, System log has "Event ID 7022 - The avast! Antivirus service hung on starting" for each reboot I have done since installing avast.

Also, though probably not relevant, after I changed the DB to XML I checked Event Viewer again and found the following error in the Antivirus log:

Event ID 90 - During the parsing of C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.xml XML document, following error occurred: C.

I didn't cut that off.  It ends with "C."  Like I said though, I'm sure this isn't relevant to the original problem because it didn't occur until I changed the DB to XML.  Just thought I'd post it.

Anyway, have to get this computer to my customer so I will have to remove avast and go with something else.  Unfortunately that means I will probably not be of any help with further troubleshooting as avast runs fine on my home system.  I will continue to monitor this thread though.  I recommend avast to everyone who asks, install it on all systems I build/fix for my home customers and have purchased the corporate edition for a couple of my business customers.  I think it's an awesome program and will continue to recommend it.  Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Mike Glenney

mglenney

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 06:10:12 PM »
This might help as well.......

Here's a dump from the avast! Status Info:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT SUBSYSTEMS:
On-Access Protection: Ready and running
iAVS Update Center: Ready and running

Update interval: Default (Every 4 hours)
VPS Update method: NONE
Program Update method: NONE

On-Access Display startup key: Detected
Mail Protection Proxy startup key: Detected

AVAST! VERSION INFO:
Version: 4.1
Build: 418
VPS Version: 0434-01
Version Label: Jun2004
Edition: %AVAST_EDITION%

AVAST! GENERAL INFO:
avast! Installation Path:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

avast! VRDB Storage Folder:

avast! Database Storage Method: XML
avast! VRDB Generate Interval: Default (Every 3 weeks)

INSTALLED AVAST! PROVIDERS:

Standard Shield:
INSTALLED

Instant Messaging:
INSTALLED

P2P Shield:
INSTALLED

Internet Mail:
INSTALLED

MS Outlook/Exchange:
INSTALLED

The Bat! Plugin:
NOT INSTALLED

Script Blocking:
NOT INSTALLED

GENERAL SYSTEM INFO:
ISO System Date: 2004-08-19
Admin rights available: TRUE
Windows system folder path: C:\WINNT
Screen resolution and color depth: 1024x768 @ 16 bit
Total System Physical Memory: 256 MB

water

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 06:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the help. I reinstalled and the RPC error hasn't come up yet, but now I'm unable to update definition files or whatever Avast calls them. It tells me I need to update but nothing happens when I attempt to update.

Thanks again.