Author Topic: Web Shield issue on multiple monitors/ ATI driver  (Read 3108 times)

brstma

Web Shield issue on multiple monitors/ ATI driver
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
I updated my ATI graphics drivers yesterday and afterward the web shield started blocking all browsing in Firefox and IE. Disabling the web shield would allow me to browse again. I rolled back the drivers and it worked again,  but the old drivers are 3 years old so I reinstalled the new drivers and did some testing.

It's a strange issue: I use two monitors,  and when I only have one monitor enabled the web shield works fine. When I enable the second monitor the web shield blocks all browsing, and I was able to reproduce this every time I enabled/ disabled the second monitor. To test it I disabled the second monitor, I disabled Avast shields, then I enabled the second monitor, then enabled the Avast shields again, and now the web shield works. 

To sum up,  If I enable the second monitor while Avast is running the web shield blocks all browsing afterward.  If I enable the second monitor while Avast is disabled, then enable Avast the web shield works fine.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Web Shield issue on multiple monitors/ ATI driver
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »
Helloa brstma: If you could please provide more info, for example: what OS you are using? What version of Avast are you currently using? This will help the evangelists to provide a better solve. I'm sure someone with experience on this issue will reply asap.

brstma

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »
Helloa brstma: If you could please provide more info, for example: what OS you are using? What version of Avast are you currently using? This will help the evangelists to provide a better solve. I'm sure someone with experience on this issue will reply asap.

XP SP3,  and Avast 5.0.677

I also had the same thing happen earlier in the year using Avast 4. I updated the ATI drivers then as well, and started a thread about it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57425.msg484516#msg484516  (maybe they should be merged)
Both ATI drivers that seem to have trouble with avast are ver 10.xxx.  The ones that I had no trouble with are ver 9.xxx
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:12:56 PM by brstma »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »

XP SP3,  and Avast 5.0.677

I also had the same thing happen earlier in the year using Avast 4. I updated the ATI drivers then as well, and started a thread about it: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57425.msg484516#msg484516  (maybe they should be merged)
Both ATI drivers that seem to have trouble with avast are ver 10.xxx.  The ones that I had no trouble with are ver 9.xxx

No I don't think merging the two is necessary as I believe V.4 and V.5 are a totally different setup internally :)

brstma

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Well, after a reboot the web shield was blocking all browsing again,  and disabling/ enabling the second monitor wasn't changing anything as it was before. I did reinstall the 9.xx ATI drivers and now all is good again, but it would be nice if I could update the ATI drivers and use the web shield.

The only definite conclusion I have is that the 9.xxx drivers don't have this problem with avast,  but all the 10.xxx drivers I've tried do have this issue.