Author Topic: virus chest?  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: virus chest?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
Uh...Have we answered the original question yet? We kind of got off course. Which is alright for an exchange of wisdom. Isn't it? BTW no one touched my "dumb American" comment. I left an opening. Yes I have a sense of humor (humour).
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 10:53:30 PM »
Uh...Have we answered the original question yet? We kind of got off course. Which is alright for an exchange of wisdom. Isn't it? BTW no one touched my "dumb American" comment. I left an opening. Yes I have a sense of humor (humour).
No idea what was the original question  ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
No idea what was the original question  ;D
Something about the virus chest. I'm starting a new thread concerning scans. I-don't-no, have we answered your question?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »

We tend not to rise to the bait ;D

As for the original question, there shouldn't be any additional files in the chest if there haven't been any other detections. Errors or Notifications aren't a direct indication of an infection.

We would need to know the full text of the error/notice to be able to give any advice, but there are many legitimate reasons why a file can't be scanned. So we need to know the file name and location and reason, the error message or notice ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »

[We tend not to rise to the bait ;D]

As for the original question, there shouldn't be any additional files in the chest if there haven't been any other detections. Errors or Notifications aren't a direct indication of an infection.

We would need to know the full text of the error/notice to be able to give any advice, but there are many legitimate reasons why a file can't be scanned. So we need to know the file name and location and reason, the error message or notice ?
Rats!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »
Maybe next time when you aren't looking  ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 01:17:34 AM »
Maybe next time when you aren't looking  ;D
Funny!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
You still watching ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

i_dont_no

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »
One question comes to mind. What are the "Packer" settings? The "All Packers" box should be left unchecked. As I found out from SafeSurf and DavidR and Tech some files are by nature inert or, password protected. These file will do no harm to your computer. Password protected files include those you download then unpack to run...ie, avast, MBAM, Super-Anti-Spyware, OpenOffice and others. These files will not harm your computer either. Note: you should run a "Full Scan" at least once a day.
my packer setting are already set the first three are checked that i cannot change,what is MBAM? should i have one? i thought avast has anti-spyware? should i be having more programs for protection, if so which ones are easy to use?
how do u do that pink box thing?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:57:19 AM by i_dont_no »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 02:57:11 AM »

One question comes to mind. What are the "Packer" settings? The "All Packers" box should be left unchecked. As I found out from SafeSurf and DavidR and Tech some files are by nature inert or, password protected. These file will do no harm to your computer. Password protected files include those you download then unpack to run...ie, avast, MBAM, Super-Anti-Spyware, OpenOffice and others. These files will not harm your computer either. Note: you should run a "Full Scan" at least once a day.

my packer setting are already set the first three are checked that i cannot change,what is MBAM? should i have one? i thought avast has anti-spyware? should i be having more programs for protection, if so which ones are easy to use?
[/quote]
avast does have anti-malware and anti-spyware built in. MBAM is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware another good one is Super Anti-Spyware both can be safely downloaded from cnet.com. Neither conflict with avast. As far as your other problem I doubt there is anything to worry about. If the problem is recurring then I would be concerned. If possible send it to the avast labs.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 03:07:36 AM »
Packers are the many different forms of compressing files, archives, by default only self extracting archives/packers (basically they are .exe files) are scanned by default, see image.

Yes, you should leave that box unchecked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
<snip>
how do u do that pink box thing?

You get the pink box thing by clicking on the Quote button of the post that you want to refer/comment to/on.

Care should be taken when quoted, don't quote everything (cut/edit out the bits you don't need), just the bit that you want to refer/comment to/on.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 03:48:37 AM »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »

[/quote]

Care should be taken when quoted, don't quote everything (cut/edit out the bits you don't need), just the bit that you want to refer/comment to/on.
[/quote]
Now I know something new. But how do you "snip"? Maybe I might be able to figure that one out.