Author Topic: not starting right away  (Read 2890 times)

Offline zpupster

not starting right away
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
hello,

i use the free version of avast 5.o.677. i have noticed upon restarting my computer avast
starts after the other programs, i feel this is unsafe. can someone tell why it is doing this?

thanks,
craig

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: not starting right away
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:23:03 PM »
Don't worry. At boot time, you're protected by the service and drivers.
What does not finished to load is the interface and the non-essential services.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zpupster

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:44 PM »
it is giving me an excalmation point and stating that my computer is not protected though.

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
It is as Tech said, the essential parts of Avast! are loaded and protecting you.  It prioritizes the parts that are important to load first.  The message is correct in that not all of Avast! is loaded.  But the parts that matter most are there.  The only time to worry about this is if the warning does not go away on its own. (or if it appears after startup, during regular use)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:06:36 PM »
it is giving me an excalmation point and stating that my computer is not protected though.
It's normal for some seconds.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »

If you left click the avast icon whilst the exclamation mark is there, the avastUI should show which shields, etc. aren't yet running ?

This is most likely yo be the Mail Shield and or Web Shield which are user assigned processes that start after the main avast drivers/services/processes.

In most cases by the time you open the UI they are likely to have started, certainly the case for me and it only impacts the Mail Shield and that isn't an issue as I'm not sending or receiving email at that time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline zpupster

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:29 AM »
thanks for all the responses.  this is true the web shield and the mail shield are not turned on yet.
my comodo firewall is already logging internet connections with this web shield off, and that was my concern,
i feel much better about it now that i know i am protected.

thanks again,
craig

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
You're welcome.

How long does it take for the mail and web shields to start up on their own ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security