Author Topic: URL Filtering Removed...  (Read 5630 times)

charlie2010

URL Filtering Removed...
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
After installing the latest version of Avast, I discovered that my meticulous list of blocked URLs is no longer recognized. ~~ This feature has been eliminated from version 5... apparently to encourage people to upgrade to a paid version.

Is it possible for me to "downgrade" back to version 4?

Or...

If I choose to upgrade, will my previous list of URL's (and wildcard settings) still exist? And will they work in version 5 in the same way that it worked in version 4?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: URL Filtering Removed...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
support for avst 4.X will end this year

is this what you are looking for ?

Network Shield

Provides protection against network-based viruses. The module has two main components: a URL blocker, designed to block malicious URLs (as defined by the Virus Lab), and a lightweight intrusion-detection system.

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download#tab2

charlie2010

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
support for avst 4.X will end this year

is this what you are looking for ?

Network Shield

Provides protection against network-based viruses. The module has two main components: a URL blocker, designed to block malicious URLs (as defined by the Virus Lab), and a lightweight intrusion-detection system.

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download#tab2

Thanks for the information that 4.x support will be ending. I did not know that.

So, if I am forced to upgrade to version 5... and if the free version of Avast-5 no longer includes the feature that allows me to block specific URL's... will the PAID version include this capability?

Also... will the paid version be able to use the same list of blocked URL's that I had created in the free version of Avast-4? (Or will I need to start-over from scratch?)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
Personally I have always felt that the correct location for any URL filtering is in your firewall or by using the HOSTS file and or by using one of the HOSTS file management applications/function available.

Only the Paid Avast Internet Security (AIS) suite has the avast firewall and that is where the ability to block URLs function is incorporated. It isn't in the avast Pro antivirus, so it isn't just the avast free version that this is no longer present.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

charlie2010

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
Personally I have always felt that the correct location for any URL filtering is in your firewall or by using the HOSTS file and or by using one of the HOSTS file management applications/function available.

Only the Paid Avast Internet Security (AIS) suite has the avast firewall and that is where the ability to block URLs function is incorporated. It isn't in the avast Pro antivirus, so it isn't just the avast free version that this is no longer present.

Hi David! ~~ Yeah, I'd considered using the hosts file as a make-do option, but if I recall correctly, each entry in the hosts file requires a full valid domain name in order to work properly.

What I appreciated most about Avast's URL blocking was having the ability to use wildcards or partial URL's.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
Hi David! ~~ Yeah, I'd considered using the hosts file as a make-do option, but if I recall correctly, each entry in the hosts file requires a full valid domain name in order to work properly.

What I appreciated most about Avast's URL blocking was having the ability to use wildcards or partial URL's.

Please read:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I use a HOSTS file manager called HostsMan and its browser speedup proxy HostsServer.

Plus avast! V5.1 is due out real soon now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
<snip>

Well, I neither use the HOSTS file, nor my firewall to block specific URLs, I have never come across the need for blocking as it is only me using the system.

I don't know why it is that you need to block URLs and that would help in offering any suggestions ?
If for parental reasons, you could also use the OpenDNS project that allows you to blocks categories, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Well, I neither use the HOSTS file, nor my firewall to block specific URLs, I have never come across the need for blocking as it is only me using the system.

I use it for getting rid of advertisements and
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

I don't know why it is that you need to block URLs and that would help in offering any suggestions ?
If for parental reasons, you could also use the OpenDNS project that allows you to blocks categories, etc.

I use OpenDNS as well:
https://store.opendns.com/get/basic

charlie2010

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
I don't know why it is that you need to block URLs and that would help in offering any suggestions?

Oh, it's simply for ad-blocking and nag-script reasons. One of the sites that I frequently visit serves it's own ads (not a separate ad-server that I can block/filter) and it becomes problematic to block the domain of the site that I'm visiting.

I appreciate your comments and insight on this. :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
Well firefox has the adblock plus add-on and aside from being able to download lists and add your own specific URLs and they can include wildcards.

As Kenny said, the hostsman can also include blocking of ads.