Author Topic: Avastsvc slowing system down too much CPU 100%  (Read 21007 times)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: Avastsvc slowing system down too much CPU 100%
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
Hi David,

I think you are right one,

Since i upgraded become 5.1.807, my system on vmware can running quite stable even though the avastsvc.exe still run around 27,432 K and CPU always reach 100% but the RAM only run half of the bar. (Please see attached pictures)

With this new version is getting better, since i am only running on vmware with limited RAM and HDD space.
I testing to browsing more than 1 windows with mozilla firefox , and do flooding with Flood Ping Break Point Break to vmware with Win Xp Pro.

Then after i turn off mozilla firefox, the CPU process become calm down.

Let see what is the next found, and hope we can still give opinions for improvement.

cheers,

Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »
Sorry I don't use VMWare, but that in itself is going to add another level of resource use, both memory and more importantly cpu activity. With limited RAM and space, this is likely to cause more hard disk activity as items are swapped in and out of RAM to the pagefile on the HDD, this also adds to cpu usage.

I think you need to monitor it with something more detailed than the task manager, something like Process Explorer which will break down that avastSvc.exe, though even that isn't ideal.

In turning off firefox, avast's avastSvc.exe is going to subside as the Web Shield is running under the avastSvc.exe service as do the other avast shields. So no web shield activity as no browsing will lower it.

You didn't answer my question about the avast icon, is it rotating when the cpu activity is at 100% ?
I suspect not, which is an indication that something has locked up and I honestly don't know what that might be, possible running in vmware with limited resources allocated to it.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
(When) trying to use either IE or Mozilla for simple Facebook chat sessions there is 10-20 seconds lags and I can see that Avastsvc is at the top of CPU usage and the CPU shows 100%. As soon as I stop the Avast Service, the CPU usage drops to like 2% and web browser usage is just fine.

Hi there Morpheus666,

is this the only times CPU usage is high and AvastSvc is not performing the process? Or is this the regular routine from AvastSvc and the web?

If only occurs on Facebook chat sessions, then sounds like AvastSvc is being hindered in the task it performs in the connection for the chat sessions.
Nothing in Facebook chat sessions that I can think of, but still perhaps the settings need adjusting for the connect to be okayed
- you change the settings in yr Account, and okay you probably know all this

But what about a firewall on yr system, and I dont think we have been told which avast program you are using - free, pro or internet security.

DavidR says check if the avast icon in yr system tray is spinning
- and if it is, then the programs or apps or services, etc at that time which are calling or expecting or denying AvastSvc to perform its task that need to be looked at
- and this is trues for the regular running routine for AvastSvc - anytime avast is operational and the icon is spinning, maybe look at what may be making it perform like that

I think we had a function in avast 4.8 for telling us the last program that ran at the time that the avast icon had been spinning, but I cannot quite recall
maybe one of the members remembers something of this sort
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

christy a

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
Sometimes my avast icon doesn't spin either? I am confused on what to do,i have xp. It seems like it takes the orange ball awhile to start turning,did i download Avast5 right,i dint take out 4.8 i just went over it,i hope this makes since,i was having trouble the other day,my internet was so slow,and the orange ball took a long time to turn,and i am not very good with computers,so i hope someone could help.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
Sometimes my avast icon doesn't spin either? I am confused on what to do,i have xp. It seems like it takes the orange ball awhile to start turning,did i download Avast5 right,i dint take out 4.8 i just went over it,i hope this makes since,i was having trouble the other day,my internet was so slow,and the orange ball took a long time to turn,and i am not very good with computers,so i hope someone could help.

Hello christy a: It would be very helpful if you would provide more information about your computer. Do you know:
What edition of XP do you have and amount of RAM available?
What version of Avast are you using?
What other security software do you have installed on your computer? Firewall..Anti malware etc.
This information will enable the evangelists to better provide useful support suggestions...in order to help solve your questions and concerns
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:09:37 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »

The key is if it isn't spinning when the CPU is reporting 100% use as if avast isn't scanning (icon isn't rotating) then in theory the cpu % shouldn't be 100%

As a start pint I would suggest doing a clean reinstall to ensure that all remnants of avast 4.8 are gone.
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.677 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

christy a

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
Ok,i hope i got this,lol XP Professional   Avast 5 free   SuperAntispyware free

When i went to upgrade to Avast 5,i asked on here how to do it and someone told me to just download it,it should go over 4.8 so maybe that is my problem.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
Ok,i hope i got this,lol XP Professional   Avast 5 free   SuperAntispyware free

When i went to upgrade to Avast 5,i asked on here how to do it and someone told me to just download it,it should go over 4.8 so maybe that is my problem.

Please go ahead and follow DavidR's instructions as he has assisted many users with similar questions/problems/concerns and then let us know how it went.If you are not sure of the process he decribed let us know.
Thank you :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:40:50 PM by schmidthouse »

christy a

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Ok,ty for all your help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »
Ok,i hope i got this,lol XP Professional   Avast 5 free   SuperAntispyware free

Usually that works just fine, it did on my system when I installed it over avast 4.8 on my XP Pro SP3 system without problem.

However, if you do experience a problem it is best to go for a clean reinstall.

christy a

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
Do i have to get a license key?

christy a

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
I figured it out, it says Current Registration will expire on 12-15 2011

Thank You all for your help i'll let you know how this goes it is scanning now.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »

You are welcome, glad to hear it worked out for you.
Any other problems arise, let us know. ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »

You're welcome.

christy a

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
Well i am back,lol. I think my computer is running alot better. The Avast Ball is turning everytime i go to a page,other times it didnt,maybe something happen when i upgraded to Avast 5, i am glad i went here for help :)ty