Author Topic: Difference in behaviour.  (Read 2236 times)

Nagan

Difference in behaviour.
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
Hi,
I was just trying out a few things and noticed it.
WIN Home basic  AVAST 5.0.677. FIREWALL -Online Armor

File system shield set to >> REPAIR>> NO ACTION.

I unzipped 4 infected files (2 Nos application , 2 nos DOS application) , and all the files carried the AVAST systray alerts while unzipping.

Next I went on to the folder and clicked the files one by one. There was this Microsoft message that the" operation could not be completed because the file has a virus" for all the files.

Later I clicked the AVAST user interface and changed the settings to REPAIR>>MOVE TO CHEST , and closed the interface.
Now if I click those files , I get a prompt FIRST from online armor , whether the file can be opened. I allowed all of them.

But as far as AVAST actions are considered,it gave a systray warning for "APPLICATION" only and moved it to  chest. But for MS DOS application I get the text box message that the file is incompatible with this version of WINDOWS and no alerts from AVAST.

I had my doubts for 2 reasons.
With REPAIR >> MOVE TO CHEST option  on why is it going into a passive mode...
Why are'nt the MS DOS files too detected and moved to chest..

Nagan

Re: Difference in behaviour.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:27 AM »
No replies yet??? Or is it that I alone am facing this problem?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
that the file is incompatible with this version of WINDOWS and no alerts from AVAST
This could be it......if the file is not compatible with your OS and can not harm the system, why detect it ?

Hexo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
This could be it......if the file is not compatible with your OS and can not harm the system, why detect it ?
Is that really, that avast only detect virus and co. they are possible to infect a windows os?
When i enable "scan all files"... i thought that they really try to find all infection in every file.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
i thought that they really try to find all infection in every file.
yes, for the OS supported by avast!5

If you for example recive a file with a virus that only works on W98, why should you detect that file, is that not waisting time, when avast 5 does not support W98   ???   It can`t harm your Win7 system
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:34:14 AM by Pondus »

Nagan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »

If you look in depth at my first post you will note that there is a stark difference in behavior. In the first case AVAST tracks down everything , but in the second case it turns passive.