Author Topic: Avast Just Lost My Respect  (Read 16395 times)

Xeolyte

Avast Just Lost My Respect
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
I just updated my Avast program. I’ve been using the free Avast anti-virus program for years and years. I have personally recommended your software to family, friends and clients. I really think it is despicable and unethical for you and other software companies to add little boxes to software installation where the default is already checked to install secondary programs like Google, Norton, Yahoo tool bars etc. and the user has to uncheck them to keep them from installing. I thought you were above such dishonest behavior and am sad to see such a fine product pimping for Google and resorting to such underhanded practices. I repair computers. A large portion of my clients are seniors and computer illiterates that don't always read the fine print when installing software. So I end up having to clean up the messes created by the types of programs "in the fine print" which usually poop all over the computer and require multiple passes of a registry cleaner to get rid of them. I am presently looking at some alternatives to Avast and if I find one that is as good as your software has been I’ll drop you like a rock and make sure all my family, friends and clients drop you as well for such underhanded practices.

PS. I've been using computers since CP/M and Tymnet and watched many software companies over the decades fall by the wayside because they failed to stay true to their original purpose. Looks like Avast may be next.

Hermite15

Re: Avast Just Lost My Respect
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:09:54 PM »
@ the OP: nobody likes bundled software, and I don't either but hey, wait a minute: how do you expect free software to be available without compensating the financial loss with the help of sponsors, hey how ??? you got something to suggest?... not to mention that there's no other free AV suite as complete as Avast "free" in the field of security software. Your post is completely over the top. Or do you have keyboard/mouse issues? is unchecking unwanted bundled stuff at setup time beyond your skills? And I mean seriously, Google Chrome is not the yahoo or the ask toolbar, and guess what, I'm posting from it ;D (didn't wait for Avast to get Chrome though ;D ).

ps: one last thing, you'll be happy to learn that without Google, Mozilla Firefox wouldn't exist either, as 80% of Mozilla's income originates from ... Google. Yeah Google search engine is bundled to... Firefox :D, and no check box to uncheck at setup time there...some extreme geeks managed to tweak that from FF options I heard 8)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:38:46 PM by Logos »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
is unchecking unwanted bundled stuff at setup time beyond your skills?

I think he refer to these people that may have not have the skills.....

A large portion of my clients are seniors and computer illiterates that don't always read the fine print when installing software

But yes, Chrome is not a toolbar but a very good browser......they might like it if they try it  ;)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:18:23 PM by Pondus »

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
just because of the name Google  ;D they think that it is bad plug-in, tool bar, or something that can spy them  ;D

it is a very good Browser fast web-surfing. is there something to afraid of???

try it and compare the performance with other browser(s), after a week if you don't like it then can be remove without giving you any problem ;)

Regards!!!!

Aethec

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:36:40 PM »
Last time I downloaded avast!, there was no default choice at the Chrome prompt  ???

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
I usually dont believe CEO "sorry for that" but what the CEO of avast said about avast and chrome is truth,a good av if it come with browser it should come with a good one and i cant find any better browser than Chrome,that is so good for novice users since they relay on IE 6 or IE7 OR IE8"not safest,most exploited".
So google+avast=good for users.
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

m00nbl00d

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
My question is: Why should major security software vendors have the need to bundle other non-related security software to their installers?

Someone mentioned that for them to provide a free version, they need to compensate the losses. Well, I believe that these security vendors providing a free version is already compensated with these free versions sending information on possible infections to their labs, hence increasing the detection of malware. If detection of malware increases, then for sure the paid products are worth the money security vendors are asking for them.

Bottom line is that, users of free versions help increase malware detection. So, why bundle other software? Not only this, but it comes pre-selected. As Xeolyte mentioned, not every person is like most who are here at this forum and alike forums. It is disrespectful towards them, IMO.

-edit-

Just as a title of example of what I meant with
Why should major security software vendors have the need to bundle other non-related security software to their installers?

I ask this:

Why doesn't AVAST partner with Sandboxie developer, so that avast! free edition bundles the free version of Sandboxie? I guess it wouldn't be that great for AVAST, because their user base wouldn't see a need to upgrade to avast! Internet Security, right?

See, it's all in the details. I'd understand for one other security software, non-trial version, free, to be bundled. But, not a browser, toolbar, etc.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:41:18 PM by m00nbl00d »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
The software isn't actually bundled, if you leave the option to install Chrome, that has to be downloaded. It is easy enough to uncheck the option, but I guess you have to be reading what is put in front of you when installing any application.

I'm always on the look out for things like this because believe it or not the majority are at it in some form or other.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Someone mentioned that for them to provide a free version, they need to compensate the losses. Well, I believe that these security vendors providing a free version is already compensated with these free versions sending information on possible infections to their labs, hence increasing the detection of malware. If detection of malware increases, then for sure the paid products are worth the money security vendors are asking for them.
Okay you can say that to a product like avira free it DOESNT COME WITH FULL SECURITY FUNCTION,so when they give you full feature you should "at least "to give them feed back
Second they get enough samples from VT and paid users and .................................a lot of sources"or how can small companies get samples too  ;)"
So including chrome is a good thing despite our emotional opinions towards google or avast
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
look guys, Google Chrome as some of you might have noticed, is gaining more and more market share every month, that's one thing, and that's good to promote Avast, so obviously, and I have nothing against that. Now when Avast announced several months ago that a Chrome install would be bundled as an option with the free version setup file, we all thought that was great, and I still do...

ps: @moonblood, sure, bundling Avast free with sandboxie ;D when "Avast pro" includes a virtualization module, what were you thinking of ??? ::)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:06:05 PM by Logos »

Xeolyte

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
The point is .. the default should be only the software you want. If you want the extras you should have to click to add on the extras.

As I said, most people when they download software don't bother to read .. they just hit next.

This sort of practice is dishonest and geared directly toward computer illiterate people who don't pay attention to details or understand what's going on. That's why I never, EVER install software on people's computers where they have to make informed choices, like Spybot.

Personally, I prefer "down and dirty" software with no bells or whistles. I miss netscape.

As to google, it was a terrific and unbeatable search engine before they started spying on you and keeping records .. I won't trust google in any way shape or form anymore. That's why I like Scroogle .. it's google without the information collecting.

And yes, call me paranoid, but it should be required this day and time. The internet is a very dangerous place for the unparanoid.

PS Just wanted to add, I'm a cranky little old lady who will be 60 years old in 3 weeks

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:20:29 PM by Xeolyte »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
PS Just wanted to add, I'm a cranky little old lady who will be 60 years old in 3 weeks
A happy early birthday wish to you Xeolyte,
As a 70 year old senior, may I offer the following rebuttle:
Now if you only lived in Arizona and belonged to one of their computer clubs, I'd be visiting you in person this month.
To explain exactly why you should be using avast! Even if you need to uncheck that box so that Google's Chrome Browser
doesn't get added to you system. (It happens to be my default browser but that happened long before it came as a possible add on with avast!)
Short and sweet, In my opinion, avast!5 Free still gives you the best protection and especially if you consider all the money you have to spend for it.  ;D
Have a great Birthday.:)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
If most of these people just install thing's without reading what there installing then google chrome is the least of there worrie's.

The ask toolbar seems to be getting added to just about everything that is free nowday's and that is alot worse.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:59:06 PM by craigb »

Xeolyte

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
Personally I love Avast .. it's the best and I still use it .. I glommed on to it when EZTrust went bad and turned into bloatware.

I'm using a very old version of FireFox that is essentially down and dirty. No tabs or other bells or whistles .. I was just grieved to see Avast fall by the wayside and start pimping other software like so many other companies. It makes me distrust their integrity when it seems they are trying to trick the uninformed into installing software you may not want.

Thanks for the BD wishes .. the sad thing is that my brain has never been better thanks to constant gaming, but the rest of me is slowing down no matter how much I exercise and try to stay fit. I was very sad to finally understand the meaning of "Youth is wasted on the young".

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
"Youth is wasted on the young"
Precisely why I decided to start a new career at age 70.
Have a great day. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet