Author Topic: Bug: BSOD Probably caused by : aswTdi.SYS ( aswTdi+ece )  (Read 2158 times)

932jrf090f9i0w23jr0

Bug: BSOD Probably caused by : aswTdi.SYS ( aswTdi+ece )
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
Installed Avast on XP and got the first BSOD in months shortly after, at night, with nobody around and nothing unusual happening.  Analyzed minidump with windbg produced "Probably caused by : aswTdi.SYS ( aswTdi+ece )".  Don't have a kernel dump and won't try to get one because I don't know how to reproduce this.

Questions:

1) How do you see all Windows TDI filters?  Is there an app to list them?  This will help troubleshooting because another TDI filter could be related to the problem.
2) What Avast shields use aswTdi.SYS?  To workaround I will uninstall Avast, make sure this file is gone, then reinstall WITHOUT the Avast shields which use aswTdi.SYS.

Thank you for answering my two questions!

swarnava

Re: Bug: BSOD Probably caused by : aswTdi.SYS ( aswTdi+ece )
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »
Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

Please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis. There is also C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)

Upload it to this anonymous ftp server: ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Bug: BSOD Probably caused by : aswTdi.SYS ( aswTdi+ece )
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
aswtdi.sys is used by Network Shield, which provides protection against malware Exploits and also checks for malware URLs.