Author Topic: Disapointed with Avast's impact on speed  (Read 9107 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Disapointed with Avast's impact on speed
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
You also have a high rate of false positive's with avira and the detection rate's compaired with avast are virtually on par, a difference of about 1-2% in real world use so for the sake of this minimal percentage with less false positive's and a far better forum avast is the winner hand's down imo, sorry to break your bubble zerotox :)and if i was to have a second choice it would be MSE.

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
You also have a high rate of false positive's with avira and the detection rate's compaired with avast are virtually on par, a difference of about 1-2% in real world use so for the sake of this minimal percentage with less false positive's and a far better forum avast is the winner hand's down imo, sorry to break your bubble zerotox :)and if i was to have a second choice it would be MSE.
MSE would be my second choice as well.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
Well, the quote is kinda questionable.
I mean sure, something is being scanned, so it has to have some effect - no arguing about that. But:
- don't see what RAM has to do with that; unless you are really low on RAM and the system starts swapping, this is mainly about CPU

I couldn't agree more...I mean, I don't have a "Big Hemmy" under the hood in my systems(as you can see by my signature)and I do definitely see some slow down, and I can understand for those with less powerful CPU's, how frustrating the slowdown can be at times....However the point made by SafeSurf about safety vs speed is THE POINT. We use these software programs to stay protected and for me....it is a trade off I am 'definately' happy to make ;D
And about this forum...with the help and support of the evangelists and product users...you can't go wrong! ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:48:41 PM by schmidthouse »

Hexo

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Have anyone ever test the webguard of avira?
I was an Avira IS custumer for a long time, but the webguard worked never really good. Since the releace of the Webguard i have to disable it, because of terrible i-net slowdown!
If someone try to compaire both productes... he has to compaire Avira Premium and Avast Free!
Never compaire Avira Free with Avast free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »
IMO in this case Avira will be a better option as it has better detection rates and better heuristics. If you can live with the interface and nag screen.
A worse update scheme, a worse number of servers for free updates, a worse interface, lack of configuration.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
I will try and clarify and answer your questions:

I want something that'll download/install easily and give me a similar level of protection to what I'm used to without having to fine-tune it.
Avast is simple to download and install, and we suggest using default settings...no fine tuning needed.  The GUI is simple and user-friendly.

Avast has more bells and whistles than Avira?
When comparing Avast Free to Avira Free...yes.  Look at the comparison charts:
- Avira_Free:  http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
- Avast Free:  http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart

<snip> am I to assume that if I used Avast with WebShield off, I'd still have a 'similar' level of protection to Avira free?
No.  You would have still have more protection using Avast, but the Web Shield is important.  See the comparison charts (links listed above in this post) and you will notice that your email and other items are also not protected using Avira Free.  I would not recommend disabling the Web Shield for security reasons, especially with all the malware/viruses out there today.

You need to decide how much protection you want and how much risk are you willing to take.  If you only go online to httpS sites for a short period of time,  rarely use email and do not open attachments, do not store anything on your machine, do not do any financial or personal transactions online, and you are willing to take the risk...this is your machine and you need to make the decision.  We are here to help educate you from our experience with other people who have transitioned over from other AV's or users we have removed malware from their machines.  Ultimately this is your decision, and we are happy to answer your questions.

And yes, we are a lively, friendly forum.  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 02:44:01 AM »
IMO in this case Avira will be a better option as it has better detection rates and better heuristics. If you can live with the interface and nag screen.
A worse update scheme, a worse number of servers for free updates, a worse interface, lack of configuration.
The number of servers for free updates are very limited.

avast! V5 is very configurable and V5.1 due out very shortly will have much more configuarability.  

zerotox

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
Well, I know that every forum promotes its own solution - that's normal everywhere but I think you bombarded the OP far too much, sometimes repeating what the previous poster have said. He asked a simple question - will Avast without the webshield be equal to Avira Free and I only stated that it won't be detectionwise. All other bells and whistles and shields are in favour of Avast and that's a fact. So the OP should consider exactly what he would like to have or trade for. Even in the review of PC World, where Avast is ranked the 1st among free AV programs, it is stated that if it comes strictly to detection - Avira is better but without doubt Avast free is better overall. I know that it's Avast's forum but it will only benefit from ballanced opinions.

SafeSurf

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
We have given the OP information and links to review and it is up to her/him to decide what they feel is best for their machine.  Should the OP have any additional questions, I'm sure they will ask.

scubadoo

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 09:44:35 AM »
Thanks everyone, hope I didn't cause too much friction but if nothing else you've proven that Avast's forum support is first class and you've highlighted some of my misunderstandings.
I think I'll try reverting to Avast, I suppose I can always temporarily turn off Webshield if doing much heavy downloading.
And, as said, the much more reliable update procedure is certainly worth having.
 :D

zerotox

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 10:22:57 AM »
Good luck, Scubadoo! And you can always count on this forum, as people here are always quick and glad to help.

jwall

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
I have been going back and forth between avast and avira also.  I'm currently using avast.

I left avira because of memory leak problems (now supposedly fixed) with XP.

Yes, avira probably has SLIGHTLY better detection and speed, but avast on my system with three shields running (web,file,and network), I barely notice any performance hit and I have old PCs.
Also, with three shields running, avast uses FEWER rescources than avira free does with only its guard (file shield) running.  Avira free DOES NOT have a web guard.

Also, avira free, version 10.0.0.607 DOES NOT have the pop up nag screen anymore.

Just some FYI.