Author Topic: Opera 11 RC BSOD  (Read 5083 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Opera 11 RC BSOD
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
it seems that systems running avast are getting BSOD's when they try to uninstall the Opera 11 beta or RC. i was wondering if the avast team knows about this already and if something is being done to address it?
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

sded

Re: Opera 11 RC BSOD
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
I didn't get a BSOD in W7x64, but Programs and Features hung when I tried to uninstall the beta and I had to go to Safe mode to actually do the uninstall.  No further problems after that, but I have just been installing RCs over the stable program.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
I didn't get a BSOD in W7x64, but Programs and Features hung when I tried to uninstall the beta and I had to go to Safe mode to actually do the uninstall.  No further problems after that, but I have just been installing RCs over the stable program.

ye i have no prob now installing over, but this BSOD issue was a prob when uninstalling the beta version (because it installed into a diff directory than the RC)

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

okay, thanks for the feedback. I actually also installed the RC today, and considering that the setup would use the default Opera program folders again (as opposed to Opera11 alpha/beta), I decided to uninstall first; but yeah I didn't want to risk a BSOD again and as usual when I remove Opera 11, I do it in safe mode.

Now the thing is I don't feel like testing that anymore, I've had about 5 or 6 BSOD's with the alphas and the betas of Opera when uninstalling them in Windows "normal mde" (testing version after version), and exclusively when Avast (5.0 as well as 5.1) was installed. And one thing I can tell, you don't play with no risk with blue screens, after a while, your system breaks... I'm only saying it intuitively, I know that it tells: "to avoid further damage to your system etc...", but after a couple of blue screens, I started to have bad Windows issues all over the place (refusing to copy files among other things)... the OS became unusable, lagging... and I had to re-install.

So I'm not ready to take the risk with the RC... I sent a memory dump to Avast already and never had any feedback...hmm okay... I'll try it one last time and report back in a few minutes ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
Wouldn't these BSOD'S be the fault of opera and not avast?

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »

not really, no other AV's seem to be causing these consistant BSOD's so im assuming it has to do with the way in which avast is handling the scanning of opera files trying to be uninstalled, but thers nothing wrong with opera itself.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »

a blue screen involves a driver necessarily, and Opera doesn't load any driver.

Okay, so as expected, I got a BSOD again, will upload the mem dump (second time, happened with 5.0 already)to Avast and send the password to pk (kurtin)

btw I already started a thread about that in the beta section a few days ago, so with 5.1:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=67191.msg566436#msg566436

edit: off topic lol there's been a bit of confusion, I thanked sded for the feedback because I thought you guys were posting in my thread and didn't realize immediately that this was a new one ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:38:55 PM by Logos »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:07 PM »

not really, no other AV's seem to be causing these consistant BSOD's so im assuming it has to do with the way in which avast is handling the scanning of opera files trying to be uninstalled, but thers nothing wrong with opera itself.
Hhmm, be good to see the final analysis on this.