Author Topic: [Resolved] 5.0 won't start after installation-  (Read 3062 times)

me123

[Resolved] 5.0 won't start after installation-
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:56:48 AM »
Just bought (upgrade from free) the avast 5.0 and installed it, and nothing happens. It will not work and will not give a reason for not working- when I click on the FIX NOW button I get the 'hourglass' for few seconds then a User account control box comes up to get permission- when I click 'continue' it pops back up to be clicked 3 times then nothing happens. When I hit the START PROGRAM button the permissions box comes up only once, I click it, still nothing happens.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted, changed, repaired, reentered my license key.. turned off my firewall...
I'm on a HP satellite laptop if that is of any use.. I'm not exactly swift with computers hehe so bear with me ;)

Help?

Rhiannon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:50:01 PM by me123 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I'm on a HP satellite laptop if that is of any use.
did your HP arrive with a preinstalled AV ?......usually Norton on HP computers
if so you need to remove that before you install avast!

it is recomended to run a removal tool to remove all leftovers after the uninstall
you can find it here as #26a    http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

me123

AWESOME fixed and fixed. The full uninstalll re-install thing did the trick.

I have such a sour taste in my mouth about Avast after the headache it's been trying to find annnnyy helpful information and the technical issues-- the helpful people here almost make up for it!..  even if you guys are paid to be here helping us, I fully appreciate it!!

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: 5.0 won't start after installation - fix will not work
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »
Welcome me123 to the forum.  :)

We're glad everything is now fixed.  We are volunteers and users of Avast (not paid), but happy to help out other users like you.

Now that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.

yongsua

even if you guys are paid to be here helping us, I fully appreciate it!!

I don't think they came to this forum assist us for the paid.They should be voluntary.