Author Topic: Licensing Alert won't go away.  (Read 5508 times)

krill

Licensing Alert won't go away.
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:00:13 AM »
I can't get it to go away! When I try to update it (by clicking "program update") it says that it's up to date and is version 4.8. I keep getting bugged to renew or something. But I'm really stupid with computers and I'm not sure how to do so.

Please help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Licensing Alert won't go away.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
Why don't you upgrade to version 5 from scratch?
Free license is valid to 14 months. You need to re-register it (for free) after that.
The best things in life are free.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:18 AM »
Why don't you upgrade to version 5 from scratch?
Free license is valid to 14 months. You need to re-register it (for free) after that.

If you decide to upgrade to v5 make sure you totally uninstall the previous version from the Control Panel/Add and Remove programs then select Avast and choose Remov Uninstall. After the reboot then go ahead and instal v5 and enter your information to "Register". :)

krill

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:19:08 AM »
That might work. I'm a little worried, because before when I clicked a download link, nothing happened. That might be the popup blocker's fault, though.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:25 AM »
That might work. I'm a little worried, because before when I clicked a download link, nothing happened. That might be the popup blocker's fault, though.

Hello Krill: Here are the steps and download links.

I  suggest doing a clean install.
For a clean Uninstall/Reinstall please follow these instructions:
1>Download the latest version of Avast, 5.0.677 Free AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.
2> Download the Avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5 at: http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
•   1. Now uninstall Avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot. When your system is up and running Reboot into ‘Safe Mode’
•   2. run the Avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode separately, first for 4.8 if previously installed, then reboot into ‘Safe Mode’, and then for 5.0. Once you have completed, reboot into ‘Normal Mode’.
•   3. Install the latest version and  reboot.
Let us know how it went. :)

krill

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:51:12 AM »
Thanks for the link. I'm trying to install the new version and I removed the old. My computer won't start in safe mode for whatever reason (I get a wall of text), so hopefully this will be enough.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
Thanks for the link. I'm trying to install the new version and I removed the old. My computer won't start in safe mode for whatever reason (I get a wall of text), so hopefully this will be enough.

That wall of text(as you put it)is normal. Sometimes it can take awhile before it passes into the next stage. You need to be patient. ;)
Please could tell me what Operating System you have on your computer, and also what other security software you presently have install.
Let us know how the install went. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:44:36 AM by schmidthouse »