Author Topic: 4.8 or switch to 5.0 ?  (Read 11217 times)

Offline flyfsher

4.8 or switch to 5.0 ?
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:59:16 AM »
 Good Afternoon, I have had the free avast 4.8 on my system for years and it's about to expire, I get notified several times a day to down load, my questions are should I stay with 4.8 or switch to the newer 5.0, and if I make the switch and delete 4.8 what happens to the existing virus chest also I'm not a fan of automatic updates and have mine set to remind me to update as I do a few times a week or daily depending on my useage, I hope this feature is available with the 5.0,thank you for help in this matter
 Best flyfsher
 Windows XP ser.pac 3

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: 4.8 or switch to 5.0 ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:48 AM »
Good Afternoon, I have had the free avast 4.8 on my system for years and it's about to expire, I get notified several times a day to down load, my questions are should I stay with 4.8 or switch to the newer 5.0, and if I make the switch and delete 4.8 what happens to the existing virus chest also I'm not a fan of automatic updates and have mine set to remind me to update as I do a few times a week or daily depending on my useage, I hope this feature is available with the 5.0,thank you for help in this matter
 Best flyfsher
 Windows XP ser.pac 3
Avast 5 is much better to use and faster at scanning! and the virus chest is on the new version! :D
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
First the reason you are getting the update notifications is that very soon avast will be ending support for avast 4.8 as avast 5.0 has been out for almost 11 months and 5.1 is not far off being released. So the clock is ticking on 4.8.

The update options are the same in avast 5 as they were in 4.8, Auto, Ask or Manual for both virus definitions and Program, see image for default settings, which obviously can be changed. Why you would want to have Ask for virus definitions updates and not Auto is unusual when they are incremental and measured in KBs rather than MBs, but it is your choice.

The contents of the old virus chest will be history if you uninstall 4.8 or install avast 5 over the top of avast 4.8. Essentially there shouldn't be anything in there that you need, any old stuff three weeks or older, if no adverse effects are experienced in that period should be scanned and deleted from the chest if they are still detected anyway. So there should be nothing in there that you want to keep.

So you can either download avast5 and install over the top of avast 4.8, this retains your existing registration info and period, uninstalls avast 4.8 and installs avast all in one operation.

Or you can elect to do a clean install of avast5:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.677 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe (English only) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:08 AM »
 Best flyfsher
 Windows XP ser.pac 3
Hey you may want to hide your email. as there is a lot of spammers here on the forums.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

swarnava

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »
it is better choice to upgrade 5.0 from 4.8..5.0 have 4.8 feature+ more extra feature with New GUI..follow David Instruction

Offline flyfsher

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
 thank you for the advice, I will delete 4.8 from the add/remove area, not sure I have ever used "safe mode" ?? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline flyfsher

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 01:48:50 AM »
  I want to thank all for your advise and instructions, I successfully deleted 4.8 without having to go into safe mode, and installed the new 5.0, now need to spend a little time learning it, one note there was a discushion about google being automatically downloaded along with 5.0 Avast I was very careful and at no time was there any boxes to check or un-check and nothing extra downloaded !
 thks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:53:15 AM »
You're welcome.

I'm sure it won't take to long to get used to it, the interface is much easier to find your way round it. Just spend a little time rummaging around it it to see what it holds. Leave it set to the defaults until you get more used to it before making any changes. Also check out the Help Centre link at the top right of the avastUI, before considering any change so you know what affect it might have.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:55:56 AM by DavidR »

Offline flyfsher

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
 DavidR
 you seem to know avast well, the only thing I have changed is in settings "to be asked to update" did a full scan last night no issues, some observations !
opening e-mail hotmail or yahoo much slower
most sites I visit daily ok (mostly fly fishing related)
large sites like ESPN take forever to open
overall I would say my system works much slower
so I'm still looking at all options and no I can't afford a new computer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
Well essentially browsing should be the same, as it still uses the same proxy and scanning function.

Avast5 is also lighter on resources than 4.8, scans are generally quicker as it uses certain methods to speed scans, but this is likely to take a few scans whilst it builds its persistent cache.

What other security applications do you have installed, anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ?
What CPU do you have and how much RAM ?

Offline flyfsher

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »
 DavidR thank you !!
 CPU ? MSI someone built this system for me
 Ram 192
 Local disk 57.2 GB  free 46.0 GB
 win. XP sev. pac 3
 It has worked fine for what I use it for ,with task master open it appears to me the
 Avast values have increased allot

Spyware Blaster
 Windows Firewall
 Avast 5.0
 I use CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »
CPU, your processor, check the My Computer, View System Information and the General tab will show all that info, see image.

WOW, RAM really could do with some beefing up, XP on its own is meant to be a minimum of 256MB, so 512MB would make a real difference, 1GB would be better and you would see a real difference in overall system responsiveness/performance.

With only 192MB (a 128 & 64MB sticks is a strange combination) your system will be working hard as it will be constantly swapping data in to and out of RAM as there will be insufficient to run much in memory. So much data will be being moved to the pagefile.sys file on your hard drive and this is a bottleneck, not to mention it thrashes your hard drive and all this activity will have avast scanning too.

RAM is relatively cheap at the moment and is relatively easy to fit.

There are some additional features in avast5 'behaviour shield' that could well be loading your system a bit more due to the lack of RAM.

Offline flyfsher

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »
 DavidR thank you again, As you can tell by now, I'm not a computer expert, to me it's just a tool, for ram any suggestions, can I install it myself ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 03:33:11 AM »
It rather depends on the cost and what you can reasonably afford. I would say at a minimum 2x256MB sticks, even 512MB should show system responsiveness/performance improvements. If you can get 2x512MB sticks all the better as XP on 1GB is good.

Possibly your biggest problem is correctly identifying the RAM specification you have and the motherboard RAM compatibility, so as to get the right RAM for your motherboard.

The best way to do this is to use a company called Crucial, they provide RAM, this is usually a little more expensive than other brands, but the idea is to use their tools to identify your RAM/motherboard to find compatible memory.

Having identified the type of RAM and specification required, then you can search for the pest deals, whilst Crucial is a little more expensive, it is guaranteed and if you use their tools and it isn't compatible they will refund/replace to get it right.

Check out this web page http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx# and there is a Crucial system scanner tool which will scan your system to find the right info for your system. Or the Crucial Memory Advisor™ tool, but you will have to have some idea of your motherboard model, etc. So the system scanner tool may be the best option.

Installation is generally easy if you are anyway reasonable at general DIY.