Author Topic: Scan running in background ?  (Read 7583 times)

dig314

Scan running in background ?
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:12:45 AM »
I have recently upgraded to 5.0 FREE. It seems like I now have constant hard-drive activity based on the PC indicator light. It is comparable to a hard-drive defrag or copying large files, or say scanning all files for viruses.

Under the Avast settings, I have the option checked to animate the icon when a scan is running. Even when it is not animated, the hard-drive has much activity. What could be causing that if the virus scan is not running ?

( I am fairly familiar with the services the PC is running, but I do not see any that should cause constant hard-drive activity. For instance, I don't use system restore, so it is turned off. )

Dig

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Scan running in background ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
I have recently upgraded to 5.0 FREE. It seems like I now have constant hard-drive activity based on the PC indicator light. It is comparable to a hard-drive defrag or copying large files, or say scanning all files for viruses.

Under the Avast settings, I have the option checked to animate the icon when a scan is running. Even when it is not animated, the hard-drive has much activity. What could be causing that if the virus scan is not running ?

( I am fairly familiar with the services the PC is running, but I do not see any that should cause constant hard-drive activity. For instance, I don't use system restore, so it is turned off. )

Dig

Hello Dig; Please provide some further information; What OS are you running. Did you uggrade from Avast v.4.8?
How did you uninstall v.4.8 or did you install v.5 right over top?
What other secuity software do you have installed on your computer?
There will cpu activity after any new install however usually subside after a brief time.If there are conflicts because of leftover remnants of another AV or firewall programs this can cause issues.
Please provide this further information as it will help in providing pertinent and effective solution suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:46:07 AM by schmidthouse »

dig314

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »
I am running Windows 7 32 bit.
Yes, I upgraded from Avast v.4.8 a few days ago when Avast prompted me to upgrade. I picked the default choices during the upgrade process...so I did not manually uninstall 4.8.
The only other security product is Advanced System Care. I do not have that program load on startup, but it loads a small .exe file anyway - probably to check for updates.
Would you like me to uninstall that to see if that helps ?
I plan to remove the INDEXING on the hard-drive partitions in case that is causing all the activity.

You mentioned CPU usage. Currently the hard-drive light is very active. In task-manager, CPU usage is between 1% and 2% switching between Taskmgr.exe and Chrome. AvastUI.exe is steady at 0%.

Finally, I don't know how to use ProcessMonitor for Windows 7, but I am going to try to figure it out.

Dig

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:36:18 AM »
I am running Windows 7 32 bit.
Yes, I upgraded from Avast v.4.8 a few days ago when Avast prompted me to upgrade. I picked the default choices during the upgrade process...so I did not manually uninstall 4.8.
The only other security product is Advanced System Care. I do not have that program load on startup, but it loads a small .exe file anyway - probably to check for updates.
Would you like me to uninstall that to see if that helps ?
I plan to remove the INDEXING on the hard-drive partitions in case that is causing all the activity.

You mentioned CPU usage. Currently the hard-drive light is very active. In task-manager, CPU usage is between 1% and 2% switching between Taskmgr.exe and Chrome. AvastUI.exe is steady at 0%.

Finally, I don't know how to use ProcessMonitor for Windows 7, but I am going to try to figure it out.

Dig

I myself do not have alot of experience with Windows 7 however I can say that 1-2% cpu useage is nothing. I mean a computer has to compute and using such a small amount seems like its just doing its thing.
I would suggest before you do anything else, to wait for a bit and and evangelist with Window 7 experience will give you some help.
Thanks. ;)

swarnava

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 05:40:08 AM »
though i am using XP SP3..but my one friend have using WIN 7 x64 ...his PC is Working fine on Avast Internet Security..i check taskmanager & it takes highest 43-48% CPU memory

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »

You would do good to uninstall Advanced System Care. Use the forum Search for that program and you will see where it has caused many problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »
Yes please delet ASC as it will conflict with avast, delet it though add remove program's reboot and then run the removal tool that you can get from here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
Only 1-2% cpu is good, that is idling nicely.

If you want a good second scanner download yourself Malwarebyte's free or even pro if you want the realtime protection of it, it's the best complement to run with avast :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:24:14 AM by craigb »

dig314

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
Thank you all for the help and advice. I have removed Advanced System Care and I will check out Malwarebyte's product.
I believe I have resolved the constant hard-drive activity. I do NOT believe it was Avast or a conflict with Avast.

• First, I found Pando Media  / Pando Networks installed and running. Yes, I had recently installed the MMO Lord of The Rings ( which is now free ). Some people on the web claim it was peer-to-peer  redistributing the files for the game. I did find two services running that were named p2p*. Other people claim the software is installed the first time you attempt to watch HD programs from NBC.com. Either way, Pando is gone and p2p services have not restarted.
  • Second, I turned off Indexing on all my hard-drive partitions.
  • Neither of the above steps stopped the hard-drive activity. What appears to have worked is disabling the Windows Search Service. If it is set to AUTO, the first directory search starts it up again. Instead, I have it disabled. Now the hard-drive light faintly flickers every few seconds as opposed to constant bright flashing. ( Searches still work.)

Dig

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:05 PM »
I have Windows Search Service set to Automatic(Delayed Start) as I like to use the Indexing it provides when I go to Start then type a file name in Search  programs and files window.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
It is better to have window's search set to manual just in case you need it, but it wont start automatically when you start your system.