Author Topic: Avast 5.0.396 Activex Error with IE8  (Read 14021 times)

chryl

Re: Avast 5.0.396 Activex Error with IE8
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
I have the exact same error and I'm using windows 7, It started as soon as I upgraded avast as well. If anybody figures out the solution please let me know! This is very fustrating!

shacl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Having the same problem  ??? Upgraded Avast and get the error message as soon as I am logged in, this is even before I try to launch any Internet search programs. Will log a "ticket" as well.

OK update time. This is going to sound bizarre however I seem to have found a solution and my apologies to Avast 5 it does not seem to be related to them - on my system anyway. I am running Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 64bit and I was having problems updating skype, itunes etc I kept getting "error 2738" grrrrrr  >:( So a quick Google search and I came across this page http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

Have a look at the post by ed08724. It seems the problem is actually with McAfee that comes pre-installed with Windows 7 on my Dell laptop. Like others I thought I had "uninstalled" it however it didn't. I ran the link that is in the post and not only did it seem to fix the problem with the error code, but I am now not getting the Active X error on start up.

I hope this helps some as I know I was finding as frutstrating as others - Cheers
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:16:06 AM by shacl »

Rickjoseph56984

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
This is not a problem of Avast as you are thinking. This error occurs if your security procedures are set too high or there is inappropriateness of third party application with the Internet Explorer. Avast can’t change any ActiveX setting.

Solution of this problem for windows XP: - http://www.completepcpedia.com/activex_control.html

RickJosheph

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
All the OP's are using Win7 or Vista.  The solution was posted by shacl, and is a common problem we see here.   Many new machines come pre-installed with a trial version of an antivirus on them.  Then the user installs Avast and it doesn't work.  This is because they first need to uninstall the trial AV because you cannot run 2 AV's at the same time or they will conflict and cause chaos with your machine

So when you buy a machine, find out what AV is pre-installed, uninstall it using the vendor's uninstaller tool (NOT a third-party uninstaller), then reboot.  Then you can download and install Avast.