Author Topic: Avast 5 v.5.0.418 problem with boot scan  (Read 2708 times)

whisper_1981

Avast 5 v.5.0.418 problem with boot scan
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
Hi i have been running avast home edition 5.0.418 and have noticed that whilst using it on windows 7 64bit i cannot use the boot scan as it says this is unavailable. i have recently had a page come up that looked like a windows xp screen that shows hard drives and files i.e. documents received files and so on...... this then pops up with a box saying that i possibly have a few virus on my system ..... with previous experience i know this is a virus / spyware either way notgood so i closed both windows down as soon as i could...... as far as i am aware  it did not download to my system but my point is i normally do a boot scan on the system when this has come up and it removed it. so i was wondering is this program going to be compatable with windows7 64bit soon as i really need to do a boot scan to make sure this is of my system. if anyone has any ideas i would be grateful

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 5 v.5.0.418 problem with boot scan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:26:33 AM »
Boot time scanning is scheduled for avast 5.1 (but it will take months...).
Meanwhile, you can try avast at boot time.
You can download it here: http://mysharedfiles.no-ip.org/avastEvangelist/avast_at_logon_by_Tech.exe
More info: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53259.0
The best things in life are free.

Dcn.Dad

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:05:37 AM »
In July 2010 I downloaded a version of "avast_at_logon_by_Tech.exe" in case I ran into the need to have the GUI in safe mode.  I now have that need and find the version I have has expired, and I do not see a version posted with a later date than Feb 2010.  If there is a later version it would help greatly with a friend's computer, running Avast 5.  Please give a link I can use - Thanks, Mike

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »
May I suggest updating to 5.0.677. This version has no "boot scan" problems. Another thing avast 5.1 should be released fairly soon.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:27 AM »
May I suggest updating to 5.0.677. This version has no "boot scan" problems. Another thing avast 5.1 should be released fairly soon.
Although it is advisable to update to version 6.0.677, and I do agree, it will not help a person using a 64-bit machine.  The upcoming releases of Avast should have the 64-bit boot-time scan in them.  However the OP should be using the latest version of Avast.  Thanks.