Author Topic: AIS Firewall "Use fast cheksums"?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
AIS Firewall "Use fast cheksums"?
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
ive asked this question before in other threads but nobody from avast ever gave me a response, so could somebody from avast actually clarify what the "use fast cheksums" option does, it says its faster but less secure to have it enabled so thats why im interested in the details of its function.

Thanks.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: AIS Firewall "Use fast cheksums"?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
ive asked this question before in other threads but nobody from avast ever gave me a response, so could somebody from avast actually clarify what the "use fast cheksums" option does, it says its faster but less secure to have it enabled so thats why im interested in the details of its function.

Thanks.

Hi firzen: I don't know how quickly anyone from Avast will respond as I'm sure they are overwhelmed with the newest beta build issues. :-\

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 12:35:38 AM »
Hi,

A checksum is data generated and stored for an application or file. There is one checksum that is stored for the application so it can be compared to. If a regenerated checksum for an application does not match the stored value, then it will be considered a new application. So basically, checksums are used for application identification purposes. The reduction of the level of security is minimal imo. Generating complete checksums may take a while (it may seem like the app is hanging when you launch it), so quicker ones are used. This can reduce the boot-up time for applications.

GG

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
Hi,

A checksum is data generated and stored for an application or file. There is one checksum that is stored for the application so it can be compared to. If a regenerated checksum for an application does not match the stored value, then it will be considered a new application. So basically, checksums are used for application identification purposes. The reduction of the level of security is minimal imo. Generating complete checksums may take a while (it may seem like the app is hanging when you launch it), so quicker ones are used. This can reduce the boot-up time for applications.

GG

thanks for the response, would the lag time be very noticeable if i disabled fast checksums?

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »
You're welcome.
Yes, using fast checksums is significantly faster. You could try it out yourself to see if you mind it.

GG

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
You're welcome.
Yes, using fast checksums is significantly faster. You could try it out yourself to see if you mind it.

GG

ok thanks, so im guessing most firewalls use fast cheksums by default?