Author Topic: Avast Settings  (Read 7395 times)

Cochise

Avast Settings
« on: August 20, 2004, 04:14:02 PM »
While going through the Avast Resident Provider settings, I noticed that there is a box that is left blank by default. It is right below the scan files on open check box and right below it is a checked box for always scan whs or something like that. I was wondering what this field is used for and should there be any values entered in this field.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Avast Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 04:57:05 PM »
Hi Cochise,

I would suggest re-reading the avast Help file > Resident Protection > Standard Shield Provider Settings > Scanner (Advanced) Page.

Example of my settings:

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 07:21:24 PM »
...and my example...

NOTE: under ADDITIONAL EXTENSIONS, full line looks like this:

ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,ECE

Cheers !
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:22:48 PM by .: SZC :. »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:21:57 PM »
While going through the Avast Resident Provider settings, I noticed that there is a box that is left blank by default. It is right below the scan files on open check box and right below it is a checked box for always scan whs or something like that. I was wondering what this field is used for and should there be any values entered in this field.

My suggested list of extensions are on FAQ (link on my signature, browse a little that thread).
That list is the 'extended' list, ie, besides the default ones, the list of extensions you want avast to access on-access  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 07:42:35 PM »
There is no point of adding archive extensions to the On-Acces module. They will be scanned as plain file. Viruses inside won't be detected.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 07:50:01 PM »
There is no point of adding archive extensions to the On-Acces module. They will be scanned as plain file. Viruses inside won't be detected.

Are you sure?
Why we never heard about this? Why does nobody from Alwil correct this for us?  ???
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 07:52:05 PM »
Are you sure RejZor ? It says Scan created/modified files...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 07:53:09 PM by .: SZC :. »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 08:45:57 PM »

Are you sure?
Why we never heard about this? Why does nobody from Alwil correct this for us?  ???

I believe it has been discussed many times here. Of course, if you just add an extension into the box, it will only be scanned as plaintext. To scan the real content of the archive, you have to turn on the corresponding packer in the task configuration as well (Pro version only).

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 09:21:16 PM »
Yeah, well, we are happy Pro users Igor... hehe. Thanks Alwil again !