Author Topic: Clam Win & Avast question ?  (Read 4643 times)

marc-d-l

Clam Win & Avast question ?
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:46:12 AM »
I tried CW just for the heck of it.The scan ran for just under an hour.The whole time Avast ball in the taskbar was spinning ,is it suppose to do that ?

SafeSurf

Re: Clam Win & Avast question ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
Did you have CW and Avast -- 2 resident AV's on your machine at the same time?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:59:04 AM »
well avast! is monitoring everything happening with the files on your computer, that is what a AV program is suppose to do
So it was whatching ClamWins work, that is also why you can/will have conflicts when installing multiple AV programs.....

marc-d-l

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
Thanks guys I cant seem to leave well enough alone, just had to try it.I uninstalled it all ready.
Using avast it didn't fine anything anyway.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
Make sure you reboot after your CW uninstall.

After this, you may have to do an Avast Repair since you had 2 AV's in your system:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

See how everything works with Avast.  If any problems, let us know.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »
2 resident AV's on your machine at the same time?

It is not a resident antivirus as seen here : http://www.clamwin.com/
Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
2 resident AV's on your machine at the same time?

It is not a resident antivirus as seen here : http://www.clamwin.com/
Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

Correct.  I use it here as a second opinion manual scan for downloaded install programs.  There is no conflict.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
I use it here as a second opinion manual scan for downloaded install programs.  There is no conflict.
I stand corrected.  Then we are back to the OP's problem. 

@ Gopher John, since you also use this software, does your Avast toolbar also spin like crazy as the OP describes when running a scan with CW?  If not, we need to figure out what else is causing his/her problem.

@ marc-d-l, Do you have any other security software on your machine besides what you mentioned or in your Signature?  Is SAS Pro or Free?  Is anything else scanning at the time you are running the CW scan?  I'm trying to problem-solve.  Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »
I still say my answer is valid. avast files shield is wathing all file activity on the comp therefor spinning when you scan with ClamWin
when i scan with Malwarebytes the ball is spinning..........avast! is monitoring the file activity
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 12:10:27 PM by Pondus »

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »
I agree with you Pondus, but I was curious to see if Gopher John was also seeing this as well since he uses CW.  However, everyone's system is different.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
off topic:
have noticed on my work laptop that if i disable Norman autoscan then the mawarebyte scan is faster
have not tested this on the avast! machine, but if anyone have a large disk they want to check with MBAM the scan may go faster if you turn off the shields for 30min ?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
I agree with you Pondus, but I was curious to see if Gopher John was also seeing this as well since he uses CW.  However, everyone's system is different.

When I scan several files with ClamWin, the Avast tray icon does spin.  It also spins when I scan with MalwareBytes, SpyBot Search & Destroy, or SuperAntiSpyware.  Anything that accesses the files would cause Avast to monitor that activity.  In a sense, the scanning program must open the scanned file.  If Avast File Shield didn't show some activity at that time, I'd be worried.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

marc-d-l

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 05:22:42 AM »
No I don't have anything else (AV's) running.Malwarebytes and superantispyware does't cause the orange ball to spin. Should it????

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »
Malwarebytes and superantispyware does't cause the orange ball to spin. Should it????
I just tested and ran MBAM Free to see if my Avast ball would spin and it does on a rare occasion while I'm also in the forum/online.  While I did this, I also went into the Avast Shields to see what, if anything was being scanned.  I think we probably have little activity for Avast to scan.