Author Topic: Update issue..  (Read 3587 times)

3snova

Update issue..
« on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:39 PM »
Hi all,
I am using AVAST from past few years but never faced problem like this.I am using WINDOWS XP SP3 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY V.5. & MALWAREBYTE's ANTI MALWARE.i just uninstalled WIN 7 and switched to XP again..I installed my OS(GENUINE) update all drivers & installed AVAST INTERNET SECURITY V.5.. i closed worms ports by running utility called 'WINDOWS WORMS DOOR CLEANER'(link-- http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-291-windows-worms-doors-cleaner ) i RUN this utility with recommended setting and avoid option which terminate automatic updates of any software.
BUT now i am going through a strange problem. When i start my PC it start normally BUT with AVAST Shields disabled and i can not connect to my broadband for 3 min. then after 3 min everything come back to normal as if nothing happened,all shield gets activated & Broadband gets connected immediately.also AVAST is not updating automatically i have to update it manually daily..please note that i installed AVAST from CHIP magazine's DECEMBER edition DVD (INDIA),and i am facing this problem of 3 min issue and updating, from start i.e. before installing any update,driver,software or anything..
NEED HELP !!! plz...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:17:32 PM by 3snova »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Update issue..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
Hi all,
I am using AVAST from past few years but never faced problem like this.I am using WINDOWS XP SP3 and AVAST INTERNET SECURITY V.5. & MALWAREBYTE's ANTI MALWARE.i just uninstalled WIN 7 and switched to XP again..I installed my OS(GENUINE) update all drivers & installed AVAST INTERNET SECURITY V.5.. i closed worms ports by running utility called 'WINDOWS WORMS DOOR CLEANER'(link-- http://en.kioskea.net/download/download-291-windows-worms-doors-cleaner ) i RUN this utility with recommended setting and avoid option which terminate automatic updates of any software.
BUT now i am going through a strange problem. When i start my PC it start normally BUT with AVAST Shields disabled and i can not connect to my broadband for 3 min. then after 3 min everything come back to normal as if nothing happened,all shield gets activated & Broadband gets connected immediately.also AVAST is not updating automatically i have to update it manually daily..please note that i installed AVAST from CHIP magazine's DECEMBER edition DVD (INDIA),and i am facing this problem of 3 min issue and updating, from start i.e. before installing any update,driver,software or anything..
NEED HELP !!! plz...

Hi 3snova and welcome; If you could please provide some  further info. which may help in addressing your issue.
ie. Do you have any other security software installed on your computer
It does seem logical that the 'ports cleaner' could be at the center of your problem, however I personally have no experience with this particular program so hestitate to speculate.
Possibly, one of the evangelists has prior experience with this program... :)
Also as a side note: You may wish to hide your email from the public by going to your profile and chosing edit 'hide my email from the public' (Spammer issues could arise). Your email will still be accessable by those who may be providing support.
Thanks. ;)

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
first of all i'm not an expert. :D do you have any other antivirus along with avast?because having more than one antivirus running on your computer can mess things up pretty badly..if you have another antivirus running unistall both avast and the antivirus..if avast is the only av running the i would try a fresh install and see what happens..

so, you can use the unistall utility of avast to be sure that its unistalled successfully.you can download the avast unistall utility from here: http://www.avast.com/en-eu/uninstall-utility
before installing avast again it would be good to download and install CCleaner and clean up your registry
then i recommend downloading the latest version of avast internet security from here: http://www.avast.com/en-eu/internet-security#tab3

try a clean up with CCleaner and wait for an evangelist to answer because they will surely find a solution..i hope my suggestions will help you with your problem though
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
When i start my PC it start normally BUT with AVAST Shields disabled and i can not connect to my broadband for 3 min. then after 3 min everything come back to normal as if nothing happened,all shield gets activated & Broadband gets connected immediately.also AVAST is not updating automatically i have to update it manually daily.
You are using AIS (Avast IS), which has the antivirus (AV) and firewall (FW) in it together.  May I ask why you turned off all of Avast's Shields?  This not only protects you, but by doing this with AIS, it is preventing you from connecting to the Internet because this has your FW in it.  I recommend that for security reasons and to make your machine work, you turn your Avast Shields (ALL of them) back on.  It normally takes less than several minutes for all the shields to get up and running after starting your machine up, but you should be able to connect to the Internet as long as your shields are on with AIS. 

Also check to make sure that nothing is being blocked in the AIS firewall settings -> does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access?  If it does, delete the entry for it and reconnect to the Internet.  This should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Please see this knowledge based article on using AIS: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1

If all of the above fails to help you, please try an Avast Repair (do not uninstall and reinstall Avast as your first choice):

- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Has your updating Avast been an issue all along or did this just start?  How do you connect to the Internet?  Below are default settings for Avast that you may want to check (depending on how you connect to the Internet and adjust your settings):

Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >
A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Please let us know if and what of the above fixes your problems.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:01:38 PM »
I just had time to do a search on the other security software you are using, and I believe it may be causing some conflicts with AIS.

Here are some key features of "Windows Worms Doors Cleaner":

· disabling the critical windows services used by the worms
· closing so indirectly the critical ports
· displays the local opened ports
· runnable with command line parameters
· check at start the name of running processes (to detect famous worms)
· check svchost memory usage

Therefore, I suggest that you uninstall the Worms Door Cleaner per the vendor's uninstaller tool (do not use a third-party uninstaller), then reboot your machine.

Then do an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Follow my previous instructions on checking your firewall settings and Internet settings (see my prior post).

Let me know if this fixes your problems.  Thank you.

3snova

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
thanks Safesurf...i will try to apply ur setting & let u know my results afterwords..and 1 thing i didn't disable my avast shields ..when i start PC 3 shields fail to start for upto 3 min then they start on there on and then only i can connect to internet.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »
when i start PC 3 shields fail to start for upto 3 min then they start on there on and then only i can connect to internet.
Sometimes, depending on your machine and settings, it can take anywhere from a minute to several minutes for all the shields to be up.  Which shields are not up until you are on the Internet? 

You may also want to see if there is anything in your Start Up that you really do not need and can "disable" to speed things along, and perhaps clean your machine up with something like CCleaner, a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. 

Let me know how things work for you.